• (4 Pages)
  • +

45 Replies - 2131 Views - Last Post: 24 April 2012 - 08:30 PM

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: You can choose only one language

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:33 PM

I'd currently say python, but that's just because I'm on this whole python trip atm. Final answer would have to be C++
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:40 PM

View Postsuperkb10, on 17 April 2012 - 09:55 PM, said:

Haha, gee thanks Neo, you've really enlightened me :genius:

Well seriously, that's all there is to it. It's the implementation and convention that's confusing you probably. How the 1's and 0's work can be different depending on hardware. It's just what you want them to mean. There are convention, like the binary numbers spiel, and how chars are generally represented, but as far as binary itself, just 1 = on, 0 = off.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:39 AM

View Postishkabible, on 17 April 2012 - 08:35 AM, said:

I think the question here is a bit misguided; even if you know literally everything about a language, that doesn't really make it any easier to program. There ARE languages that you can know everything about because they are so small; it's knowing how to use the features that makes your life easier. so if "everything" just means being able to enumerate the standard or reference implementation then I don't think I would waste my time on this.

Very good point!

Knowing ultimate RISC assembly is quite easy, but writing a simple program with it is not.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Leafiest of the Leif's
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:37 AM

I can't be the only one who would choose Brainfuck? Right?
I mean, if I had to be realistic about everything it'd probably be C++. It makes sense to understand something that everyone uses.

But seriously, BRAINFUCK! Anyone who has seen it has probably questioned their sanity. If one could create entire applications in that they'd be some kind of god. Just sayin'
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#35 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:00 AM

If one could create entire applications in that they'd be some kind of god. Just sayin'

No, just stupid but less so than the lolcode people... If anything FALSE people should be speaking up.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Leafiest of the Leif's
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:26 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 18 April 2012 - 08:00 AM, said:

If one could create entire applications in that they'd be some kind of god. Just sayin'

No, just stupid but less so than the lolcode people... If anything FALSE people should be speaking up.

They'd still have god-like bragging rights. C++ is a definite for me, though. I'm learning at the moment and while, with my background in C-esque languages, I should have a slight upper hand where the syntax is concerned it's a surprisingly difficult task. A lot of new things to grasp, and a lot of apparent bad habits to get rid of. Being able to expedite that would be very much welcome. Good things come to those who wait, I guess.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Catch me As Exception
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:21 AM

C# :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:27 AM

I would probably choose Java. I love how this language is cross-platform (I love Linux) and how similar it is to C# in terms of syntax. I also am falling in love with the java framework more than C#'s .NET framework.

If I could choose more than one though, I would choose both C# and Java, due to their similarity and because both are very awesome languages in my opinion. C# with its features, Java with its simplicity and cross-platform ability.

This post has been edited by preb: 18 April 2012 - 10:30 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• spelling expret
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:23 PM

Knowing ultimate RISC assembly is quite easy, but writing a simple program with it is not.

not just that but practical languages too. languages like C and Lua can actually be *fully* learned. full, practical but minimal languages can be quite interesting.

I don't think I know everything about C but I know a large part of it. I'm quite confidant I know all of the Lua language and I even have a decent knowledge of its implementation and API. that doesn't mean I'm the world's best Lua or C programer however, far from.

Haskell is another; I know most of the core language(but not the standard library) yet I struggle to write code in it sometimes.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Cabbage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:21 AM

Assembly for me.

To take full advantage of this, I would want something fairly fundamental from which I can build more skills and knowledge. Since infinite depth of knowledge is guaranteed, the breadth and depth trade off is irrelevant and maximum breadth is a no-brainer.

Many languages make a big splash and then never amount to anything in industry. I wouldn't trust Python, Ruby or Scala to be more than a flash in the pan, and I'd feel cheated when I got a job that required me to code in C++ all day.

Other languages like C, C++, Java, COBOL, FORTRAN, and many more are here to stay, at least within my lifetime and probably much longer than that. Maybe one from this group would be a solid choice. But in 20 years time maybe a language from that first group (or something new) will make it big, eroding the prominence of my skill set.

I found it difficult not to choose a functional language but the trend is multi-paradigm. Downloading all the knowledge and skill to use a functional language would restrict too much.

So, I settled on Assembly. Its a language where you can use structured, OO, functional, aspect orientated, etc. concepts (even if you have to build frameworks yourself). Design patterns, coding practices and all the rest that would come with any other language also comes with Assembly.

I don't think I'd switch to Assembly for all my programming needs but picking up a new language is easy. I just think assembly would give me the broadest scope.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:28 AM

View Postcfoley, on 19 April 2012 - 05:21 AM, said:

Other languages like ... COBOL ... are here to stay

Please, gods, no.

The only computer language that has ever actually died, as far as I can tell, is BASIC. The real one, with line numbers. It evolved, like dinos into birds, and is gone.

The rest of them seem to limp along in little niches, refusing to go away. Hell, we have an entire forum for VB6. :P
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Cabbage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 April 2012 - 05:16 AM

Funny you should mention line numbers. I've been planning a blog post about using Lambdas in Spectrum BASIC to mark the 48k's 30th anniversary.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 April 2012 - 07:06 AM

C++, such a powerfull language to know by heart.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 April 2012 - 01:24 PM

I would choose assembly if I could code in it like it was Python or Java :D

Otherwise, C++
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• spelling expret
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 April 2012 - 01:51 PM

Well, if you can know every architecture then ya, everyone *should* choose assembly but I would rather know something more versatile like C++ that can be used very efficiently on all architectures rather than just one architecture.

This post has been edited by ishkabible: 22 April 2012 - 01:52 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (4 Pages)
  • +