6 Replies - 7161 Views - Last Post: 20 April 2012 - 09:54 PM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Fingerprint Reader + C# .NET ( Help on Starting My Project)

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:23 AM

For this semester, our machine problem is creating an application that would integrate biometric verification, particularly fingerprint scanning/reading.

We would be programming in C# in the .NET Framework, and I am clueless about these kinds of things. I have already done some googling, and so far there are some things that I do not understand:

1. What are these SDK's that I have been reading about (ex. grFinger, m2sys)?

2. Will it be much better to code the algorithm of comparing two fingerprints or have like a third party libraries for comparing them? By the way, I assume that writing my own algorithm will require knowledge on imaging perhaps? (I do not have any)

3. What things could you suggest to make coding this project easier? Also, some tips on starting the project (i.e things that I should read up on.)

More questions to follow:) These are the only ones that I could think of now. Thanks:)

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Fingerprint Reader + C# .NET ( Help on Starting My Project)

• Not Your Ordinary Programmer
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Fingerprint Reader + C# .NET ( Help on Starting My Project)

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:04 AM

View Postznerihc, on 18 April 2012 - 05:23 AM, said:

And SDK is a Software Development Kit. It gives you a way of interacting with a specific item.

2. Will it be much better to code the algorithm of comparing two fingerprints or have like a third party libraries for comparing them? By the way, I assume that writing my own algorithm will require knowledge on imaging perhaps? (I do not have any)

If you have no knowledge of comparing fingerprint images, I would go with a third-party one. And yes, you can't code an algorithm for comparing fingerprints if you have no knowledge of how it works.

3. What things could you suggest to make coding this project easier? Also, some tips on starting the project (i.e things that I should read up on.)

As for tips, here is a link to our Resources list. Use it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 Curtis Rutland  Icon User is online

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:48 AM

What things could you suggest to make coding this project easier? Also, some tips on starting the project (i.e things that I should read up on.)

A C# book, and time. You're not going to be able to write a complicated program like that with no base knowledge of a language or a framework. It's just not going to happen; you're setting yourself up to fail.

If it must be done, start learning now. Get a C# book and work through it. Or find a tutorial series and work through that. Because if you're trying to learn how to compare images and match fingerprints, it's not going to help to be trying to learn the language at the same time.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:33 AM

View PostCurtis Rutland, on 18 April 2012 - 05:48 AM, said:

What things could you suggest to make coding this project easier? Also, some tips on starting the project (i.e things that I should read up on.)

A C# book, and time. You're not going to be able to write a complicated program like that with no base knowledge of a language or a framework. It's just not going to happen; you're setting yourself up to fail.

If it must be done, start learning now. Get a C# book and work through it. Or find a tutorial series and work through that. Because if you're trying to learn how to compare images and match fingerprints, it's not going to help to be trying to learn the language at the same time.

I already taught myself the basics of the language, albeit I am still not very good at it. I actually viewed all 200 videos of thenewboston on youtube on C#. I also practice whenever I can. The thing is this is a school project and unluckily, we are of the Quarterm System, so I need to learn, fast.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:20 AM

For this semester, our machine problem is creating an application that would integrate biometric verification, particularly fingerprint scanning/reading.

We would be programming in C# in the .NET Framework, and I am clueless about these kinds of things. I have already done some googling, and so far there are some things that I do not understand:

More questions to follow:) These are the only ones that I could think of now. Thanks:)

1. You can think SDK's as packages that help you interact with certain objects more easily. For example, a Facebook SDK would allow you to do something like:

Facebook() facebook = new Facebook();
var user = Facebook.SearchForUserById(123123);

All they do (most of the time) is wrap around important functions in easy to understand methods. In your case, a fingerprint reader SDK probably already exists, built by the manufacturer itself.

2. If you can find something that already exists use that. Save time and it's better because they had more time to create something more robust.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 April 2012 - 03:24 PM

View PostSergio Tapia, on 18 April 2012 - 07:20 AM, said:

1. You can think SDK's as packages that help you interact with certain objects more easily. For example, a Facebook SDK would allow you to do something like:

All they do (most of the time) is wrap around important functions in easy to understand methods. In your case, a fingerprint reader SDK probably already exists, built by the manufacturer itself.

2. If you can find something that already exists use that. Save time and it's better because they had more time to create something more robust.

@your example at number one: Based on how I understand this, SDK's are like prebuilt libraries that I can use like System.----- that contains methods and functions that relates to doing a specific item? Am I correct in my assumption?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:54 PM

View Postznerihc, on 18 April 2012 - 03:24 PM, said:

View PostSergio Tapia, on 18 April 2012 - 07:20 AM, said:

@your example at number one: Based on how I understand this, SDK's are like prebuilt libraries that I can use like System.----- that contains methods and functions that relates to doing a specific item? Am I correct in my assumption?
That's part of it. What you are describing is the system libraries. You will find lots of useful stuff in c#. A SDK will contain more than just a standard library. For c# you will likely be using visual studios. I'd check out the free version here.

http://www.microsoft...s/2010-editions

The express version is free. Interesting project! I'd like to see what you end up doing with it.

rk
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1