6 Replies - 1156 Views - Last Post: 19 April 2012 - 08:47 AM

• Idiot

• View blog

Quantum Computing

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:24 AM

Computers have been around since 1822, and have grown progressively, it is now the year 2012 and computers are about to get 1000x faster with quantum computers, quantum computers have already been made, but there are a few problems with them, e.g environment interference, and this may delay quantum computers being made on a consumer scale for another 90 years, this may mean we will never see these computers during our lifetimes, is this true?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Quantum Computing

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Quantum Computing

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:36 AM

is this true?

What does your research tell you?
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Idiot

• View blog

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:42 AM

Your not very helpful are you? If I new the answer, I wouldn't make a topic would I?
Was This Post Helpful? -4
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:50 AM

Yes they could be fast

Yes there are problems. At the moment I believe that they have to operate at close to absolute zero - something not helpful in a normal working environment)

No we might not see them in our lifetime. However we might. Take into account that not so long ago the whole idea of quantum computing didn't exist. Things can move fast.

The fact of the matter is like modi123_1 rightfully said, not many people here know squat about quantum computing. You would be better off doing your own research with articles that are written by people who actually know what they are talking about.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:58 AM

Not helpful? Were you looking for straight yes/no question? I figure I am quite helpful on things that actually need help. Farming out your research on quantum computing doesn't seem to hit that bar - especially when I am unsure what you've looked into already, and even if you wanted a concrete answer outside of a nebulous "sure - of all the facets impeding issues with the development of a quantum computer one of those may indeed be interfaces and that, in conjunction with zero or more other roadblocks, may delay the market viability of a quantum computer by zero to ninety years". By and by it all just seems silly that I am called unhelpful when I wanted a slightly more concrete space to drop a half nugget of information on the topic. Then again it could be like what Bobby Brown said - it's "your prerogative".

edit: *hand waving motion* <insert joke about vagueness of entanglement and a unclear post>

This post has been edited by modi123_1: 18 April 2012 - 12:01 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Idiot

• View blog

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:11 PM

I see what you mean, and I was just a bit annoyed, please forgive me, and there was no need to -1 me.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:47 AM

There was no need for you to respond to Modi the way you did either. Common sense would tell me that if you did research, more than just that single line you copied and pasted into the beginning of this topic, you would understand the current limits of quantum computing.

This is a very popular topic at the moment and you can easily find dozens of articles explaining theory, benefits, and problems/limitations. Back to what Ryano121 said, computers in general have progressed tremendously in a short period of time. I remember just a few years ago buying a laptop with a 5GB hard drive, now you can carry 5GB on a flash drive! Processor capabilities are growing at an exponential rate as well.

Honestly I don't think anyone could estimate how long it will be until Quantum Computing is a viable option, however, due to the trends in technological growth, I sincerely doubt it will be 90 years.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1