5 Replies - 1782 Views - Last Post: 23 April 2012 - 06:49 AM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Live Feed from a SQL Database

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:16 AM

Hi
This is probably asked many times and is very much easy however Iíve browsed the internet and havenít found a direct answer. So far Iíve managed to extract the information from my database into a excel file periodically using Delphi scripts however it is time that I did much more. I want to know if it would be possible to create a live feed from one of my databases, so that the interface my friend will see will be completely real time, anything updated on his side will effectively be updating the tables. For example I have a database on person and purchases information, I would like people to actually see what information is stored about them in real time. Iím using Microsoft SQL Server 2005 to change any fields in my database. Iím not sure if Microsoft has this embedded in their software or whether it would be easier to use a programming language; if this is the case could anyone point me in the right direction such as a recent tutorial that gives me the basis of the idea. Iíve tried to get into it with java but hit a dead end, whilst reading into a tutorial I was told I had to download numerous plug-in with Eclipse however one of these plug-in (azzurri clay) is no longer available.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Live Feed from a SQL Database

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Live Feed from a SQL Database

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:31 AM

You'll have to explain more about what you mean 'real time'. A database operates on transactions, right? To have data pulled from it appear in "real time" would require the calling app to just repeatedly call on a timed schedule. Every ten minutes, three minutes, twenty seconds.. etc. It sounds like you are confusing the role of a database with that of a client application. A DB is just a container.. how you access that container, and in what fashion, is up to the client app.

I want to know if it would be possible to create a live feed from one of my databases, so that the interface my friend will see will be completely real time, anything updated on his side will effectively be updating the tables.

That's not quite a "live feed".. a feed is just a readable list of what's being polled... right? Are you looking for how to make a webservice so your associate can run updates to teh database?

In short yes.. make a web service access your database.. people can hook into it and poll the data.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 April 2012 - 06:56 AM

Thank you for the insight. With regards to having a webservice Do you know of a place where I can find information on how to set something like this up, my knowledge with databases are somewhat vague. I only really wish to give access to certain tables and parts of the table
For example I have per.per_num, per.pfname etc etc from the person table and ba.ba_no etc etc from the balance table.
Iím just curious into how I will set up how I will be extracting this information, what is the best format to extract it in.
Currently from what I know I would create numerous queries to extract information from the different tables and then figure out a way to map the separate files together, then ftp it periodically. Iím trying my best to move off this method as the way in which it is set up you would have to some programming knowledge in order to change this set up.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:25 AM

Depending on how you want to do it.. I have shown the basics of making a web service in this tutorial - just ignore the bit about the VB.NET app interacting with it... it'll get you orientated in a good direction.

http://www.dreaminco...sumed-by-vbnet/
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:13 AM

Thanks for this, would it be impossible to do it any other way, or would it have to be done via making an application.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:49 AM

No.. an exposed api/webservice is the way to go.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1