2 Gpu overheating ( graphics card )

• (2 Pages)
  • +

20 Replies - 5419 Views - Last Post: 21 April 2012 - 12:12 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

2 Gpu overheating ( graphics card )

Posted 19 April 2012 - 02:54 PM

Hello i ad a 450 watt power supply which came with my case and was thinking of upgrading my graphics card so i bought a 850w win power +plus power supply.

I went out and also bought a ati readon 4850 2gb xs 2 which is 1 graffics card but is 2 put together. I got it home and plugged in in and got all lines down the screen like pixels i tried to update the driver and never solved the problem...
I toke it back to the shop and was told it over heated the fans looked like they been smoked and the back of the card was yellow ( they said ) They also told me the card was like it be for i bought it so was allowed a full refund or another card so i chose another card i have not received the one after it the ati readon 4870 2gb xs 2 and guess what happened again ? I plugged in in and the system is stuck in 4bit i try and change it to 32 bit ( the resolution thing )but the screen flashes and stays stuck in 4 bit also the screen is stuck in the 800x 800 even if i change it it will still stay stuck in the 800 xs 800 i downloaded the drivers via other card then plugged the new card in and could not click the install button because the resolution is so small...

So 2 cards with the same problem i have big boxes down the screen like lines but thick lines like boxes and loads of pixels every were and everything staying in 4 bit mode. Also the card gets real hot and comptuer resets it self. The fan kicks in but not full speed. I am not getting any error lights or anything there are lights on the card but no error's

I have a old card which i was using i plug that in and all works fine..... Just the 2 ati ones the first one had pixels every were i toke it back now the same with this new one..
Also it seems like my board forget the card. I put the card in my board and got to wait about 20 mins with no screen i get no signal i wait around 20 mins then the screen comes on ( i expect the computer toke 20 mins to instal the card )i then get into windows card overheats computer resets and everything repeats i got to wait 20 mins again for it to be installed again.... also i have tried change the bois battery to make sure its not flat but never helped...

I had windows 7 unlimited instaled and was still pixeled all the screen i then went and got a windows xp disc and still happened....

Has i have said im using my very old graphics card in my computer now to type this which works fine.Buts its old old and that's why i bought the ati one

Any advice ??? Or has anyone else had this problem ?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: 2 Gpu overheating ( graphics card )

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: 2 Gpu overheating ( graphics card )

Posted 19 April 2012 - 05:11 PM

Are you using all the appropriate plugins and power cords? Depending on the exact model there should be a six and eight pin that BOTH need to be in. Is this thing touching other hardware? What's your motherboard make and model?

Are you over clocking anything? Are the bios voltages right?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:39 AM

Yes its not over clocked ( i wouldn't know how to overclock it)
And yes my power supply comes with 2 6 pins the gpu i have need a 8 pin and a 6 pin so i bough a wire which goes from a 6 pin into a 8 pin. so using the one 6 pin from the power supply then the other 6 pin from the power supply i put the wirre in to change it to a 8 pin then use it has a 8 pin.

I did a lot of testing on it last night there was lines down my screen and pixels everywhere so i toke a screen shot. I put my other cheap gfx card in and the pixels on the screen shot was gone....

I have attached the screen shot. It was worse when the gfx card was in there was lines down the screen and pixels everywere but i toke a screen shot and now on the screen shot there gone ?? So maybe its my monitor ??

The bios voltages are on auto for everything cpu gfx card everything

also here is a link to my gfx card http://www.trustedre...omponent_review

also i think maybe my video contolor drivers might be broken on my computer. Has you can see by the second attached item

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by rpgmaker: 20 April 2012 - 03:34 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:16 AM

What's your motherboard make a model? Does it even support that sort of card? Is your motherboard all plugged in power wise? Even that little 4pin one as well as the 24pin?

Can you take a picture of inside your case?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:27 AM

Its a ASUS M5A78L-M USB3 Motherboard i have the side of the case off ( both sides ) and still gets hot. And yer all the power leads are plugged in the 4 bin on my board and the 24 pin on the board. I could try and take a video if you want ?? I had windows 7 unlimited installed the 64 bit one and the first gfx card wouldn't work the ati readon hd 4850 2gb xs 2 so i thought id instal windows xp pro 64 bit which it still happened on so i toke the card back and they replaced it with a newer version 4870 2gb xs 2 but that is just the same.... the new on the replaced it with 4870 2gb xs 2 it lets me boot into windows and stays in windows but the screen goes pixel mad....
So now im trying to instal windows 7 unlimited again because i think it might be the video controller and if i upgrade it should fix it. But i have windows 7 disc laying around and the xp disc so no harm in trying ?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:30 AM

Take a picture of inside your case.. that's an awfully big ass card for such a cramped space.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 April 2012 - 08:02 AM

Im installing windows 7 at the moment so can i take a pic in around 10 mins ? i have noticed the gpu memory has old paste on would it be ok to take the old paste of and put new on ? Or does the gpu memory not ment to have thermal paste on ? The paste on it now you can pull off.... Its like cheese the same color and all stuck together. WOuld it be ok for me to take it off and put new thermal paste on ?
Because the case is open the side is off and other componist are cool like i have a fx 8 core and that is running at 21c when the shop have said it should run at 50c.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:09 AM

Im installing windows 7 at the moment so can i take a pic in around 10 mins ?

sure

i have noticed the gpu memory has old paste on would it be ok to take the old paste of and put new on ?

sure if you know how to do this? Why doesn't the card have a cover on it?

Or does the gpu memory not ment to have thermal paste on ?

It's a chip.. it conducts heat.. it should have paste.

The paste on it now you can pull off.... Its like cheese the same color and all stuck together. WOuld it be ok for me to take it off and put new thermal paste on ?

Yes.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:00 AM

with the ASUS M5A78L-M board (we sell it at the shop here) the first couple releases versions of it had a bit of an issue with the bios. Try updating the bios and test things out. Usually fixes our little strange issues here
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:28 AM

I think the bois is updated to the latest version. If i remember it would not support the amd fx 8 core so had to flash it now it supports it.
Here are the pics has promised.

This is it in my case
http://i.imgur.com/BVRO9.jpg?1

This is the wire setup to show both wires are in
http://i.imgur.com/qtTr7.jpg?1

A close up of the wires
http://i.imgur.com/0tgFr.jpg?1

And this is my screen and what i get
http://i.imgur.com/MNEvq.jpg?1

I have just added new thermal paste to the card and seems to run cooler on the one side of the card but the one side of the card is still hot ( untouchable ). Also when i run the computer the both sides of the case are off so fresh in can get in. I ran driver updater when i got into windows and said there was a new version of the drivers for the card ( ati readon 4870 2gb xs 2) But of course i can not see anything so can not update with a screen like that.....
I get the updater up and the reslotion is so small the instal button for the drivers can not be seen even if i drag the apps up to instal the drivers....
I will try and flash my bois again now and see what happens.
( did try and upload the pics to here but was to big )

Edit: I have just installed the newist bois but still the same problem my board is a M5A78L-M/USB3 my bois was 43 version behinde but still never fixed the problem. I must say every time i switch video cards i get a " found new hardware : video controller " and a pop up comes up asking me for a ati2mtag.sys file....

I have noticed you can only instal the card i have " ati readon 4870 2gb xs 2 " if the card is in the slot. Is there any way i can just get the drivers ? and not the ati software ? I run the ati software with out the card in and does not instal the drivers because the card is not plugged in. And if i plug the card in i can't see anything. I noticed with other gfx cards u can instal the drivers with out the card being in then when u put the card in it will pick them up.....
Im guessing there is no way to do that ??? with the ati readon 4870 2gb xs 2

This post has been edited by rpgmaker: 20 April 2012 - 11:23 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 April 2012 - 12:35 PM

When you say driver updater.. Program or from the ati site? and there is a way to install just the driver, usually on the ati site it askes if you want to download the driver only or catalyst control suite + driver
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 April 2012 - 12:45 PM

Well i run Driver Genius Professional Edition which i downloaded not from the ati site. I can not find a link to just the driver..... i download the atalyst control suite and run the setup then i run custom set up ( to just instal the driver ) but the driver part says not installed so i click it to instal but will not install most probley because the gfx card ent plugged in. But has you most probley can see from the pic even if i had it plugged in the screen is so small i can't click the instal button never mind see anything lol
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 April 2012 - 12:58 PM

I hate thoes programs cause they cause more issues than fix. Go get the ati driver with the suite, might say driver install online now a days during the install. http://www.amd.com/u...MDHomePage.aspx

But from the screenshots you shows up it looks like its a hardware issue now, send it in for warranty
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:05 PM

Im running the auto detect and instal software they have to see if that auto instals with out me clicking anything. I had the ati readon 4850 2gb x2 and was getting the same problem so toke it back to the shop now i have this new one ati readon 4870 2gb x2 and got the same problem so im gussing the both cards are messed ?

Edit i just noticed i can see the devices in my device manger even tho the card is not plugged in.......

This post has been edited by rpgmaker: 20 April 2012 - 01:14 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 April 2012 - 03:49 PM

here is a video recoded by me of what happens
http://www.youtube.c...eature=youtu.be
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +