4 Replies - 1165 Views - Last Post: 24 April 2012 - 03:21 AM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Linking my website users to forum software

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:54 AM

Hi,

I'm wanting to install a forum on my website and link it in with the users that have registered on the website itself, so that they can use the forum without having to register on it or login again, so it's going to need to link the users and the sessions somehow.

I've downloaded phpbb at the moment, but having a look through it it looks like it's going to be very difficult. Does anyone have any experience with doing this and could offer some advice/examples on how I could achieve it? It doesn't have to be phpbb if a different software would be easier, as I'm not really sure where to start at the moment.

Thanks.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Linking my website users to forum software

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Linking my website users to forum software

Posted 22 April 2012 - 03:31 PM

I would of said when the user register's do a extra insert into the forum board db. But that would fail if you have loads of users all ready. So the best way to do it is find a forum board which is easy editable ( phpbb , mybb) and edit the login so it connects to your website db instead :whistling: Then once you have done that see what the login page sets the username session virable has. Because i know with mybb it does a mysql select then if row matchs it sets a session varaible then the user is logged in to the forum. So all ud have to do there is edit the select so it picks it from your website db and not the forum db and it would still set the forum session virable. Ive done this on my site with mybb.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:14 AM

I'll give mybb a go then, as the phpbb code was confusing me quite a lot as to how I'd be able to do it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Saucy!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 April 2012 - 12:12 PM

Do any of the forums support something like OpenID? You could integrate around an Authentication as a Service provider like that?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:21 AM

Well I've failed miserably again. I'm sure it can't be that difficult, but I've tried: phpbb, smf, vanilla, mybb, usebb and I can't get any of them to work. I can get it to create the new forum user when they register/login on my site easily enough, but creaing a new session on the forum is difficult. :-(

Vanilla came the closest with their proxyconnect plugin, but no joy. I suppose I'll just have to waste hours re-writing my own forum.

This post has been edited by Duckington: 24 April 2012 - 03:23 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1