5 Replies - 2909 Views - Last Post: 24 April 2012 - 02:45 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

To MAMP or Just Manually Install Apache, PHP and MySQL - Mac

Posted 22 April 2012 - 07:33 PM

One of my classmates is hell bent on installing Apache, PHP and MySQL manually (he is also a command line fanatic). I have a brand new Mac Pro, just moving over from Win 7, and I have never installed these developmental tools before and I want to do it the right way. Should I use MAMP to install and manage, or should I do it the old fashioned way, manually install? Can I install MAMP after a manual install? Will it cause problems if I do? One of problems is the varied advice on installing MySQL. That goes from 8 steps (with numerous sub-steps) to: "1. Install MacPorts, including the required dependencies 2. Use the port command, via Terminal, to install MySQL like this: sudo port install mysql5-server." The need to do this properly is compounded by me starting a summer work term using MySQL in a few weeks. Thank you.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: To MAMP or Just Manually Install Apache, PHP and MySQL - Mac

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: To MAMP or Just Manually Install Apache, PHP and MySQL - Mac

Posted 22 April 2012 - 08:32 PM

There are some people who just need to feel cool lol. I know a guy who still insists on using Notepad to write all his code. If you have no specific configurations or extravagant settings which you need to make available just go ahead use MAMP. You won't even notice the difference and you'll probably get a clean install the first time around.

I use MAMP on my local development system but when we deploy our apps on servers they are usually installed separately.

I hope this helped in a way.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:14 PM

It did help, I was hoping for a little more input. Maybe I should I have put the topic in MySQL.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:20 PM

Should I use MAMP to install and manage, or should I do it the old fashioned way, manually install?

Install it with MAMP.. update as needed individually.

Can I install MAMP after a manual install?

I would assume so.. though it would be best to remove your first attempted forays and go clean so all the settings and scripts are in sync.

Will it cause problems if I do?

It probably will.. I mean MAMP and XAMPP work so well because they have all the config business setup right. If I were you I would be worried about missing some critical setting that borks your afternoon....
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:28 PM

I tried MacPorts to no avail. MAMP is installed and I like their disclaimer that the uninstall is a simple matter of deleting the folder. Thanks for the guidance. I will play around with config individual pieces in the safety of a linux VM, a good sand box.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:45 AM

It isn't about being cool. That's setting up your system for others. You setup your system for your self. Use whatever works better for you.

Some people either already know, or desire to learn the software inside & out. Wonderful! Install them manually.

Others want to be up & running by lunch. This is great too. Use the prepared *AMP package(s).
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1