4 Replies - 743 Views - Last Post: 25 April 2012 - 09:58 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Prior Experience/Knowledge

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:39 AM

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and hope to use it for years to come to find and share knowledge and resources.
I am starting University this September studying Computer Games Programming.
I have purchased a few books including java, python and c++ for beginners and am finding them ok so far.
My IT knowledge is limited but my maths skills are good. My question is, how do I best prepare for this course to give myself the best head start? What are the best areas to brush up on? Do you need good computer science skills for software development?

Thanks

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Prior Experience/Knowledge

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Prior Experience/Knowledge

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:35 AM

Find the Computer Games Programming course list on your University's website (my guess is you will find courses in physics, datastructures, AI, calculus, networking, etc). If you can find a syllabus for the class, take a look at the topics and google them. If you can't, try googling the course name.

For example, if I google my course "Datastructures" I will find hundreds of resources in a variety of programming languages. From there you just have to go step by step with the topic of choice.

If you are lucky you might even find another college that offers the same (or similar) course and posted some resources for those students to study up on.

This post has been edited by SpartanGuy07: 25 April 2012 - 08:36 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:41 AM

Try and get as familiar as you can with ONE language. That way when you start your course you will have a head start as the first few classes will probably cover introductory topics before the real fun begins.

It's tempting to learn as many languages as you can now. As you say you have books on Java, Python and C++. OK you could be able to get to basic grips with all three, yet its really not a good idea. All three languages are very complex and each will take a long while to 'master' at this stage.

Pick ONE language (preferably the one your course focuses on) and go through that book and that book only. When you master that language by all means move on to another, but don't just dip into all three. You end up with thin knowledge with large gaps and will also probably have to cover topics over and over again when you forget them (it will happen)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:41 AM

Thank you, that's extremely useful information. I am far too eager at this stage and just want to know everything right away but I appreciate, with this topic especially, its best to go one step at a time. Would you recommend one language over another for a first language to learn? I would say I've made most progress with C++ but isn't this much more complex than a script like Python, for example?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:58 AM

Like I had mentioned, check your course catalog at your university. Then you can see what language they teach the classes in and choose the one that you will need most.

This post has been edited by SpartanGuy07: 25 April 2012 - 10:22 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1