3 Replies - 1418 Views - Last Post: 27 April 2012 - 05:47 AM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Viewing database files

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:43 PM

I am trying to open, and view a couple of files used in an SQL database. The main program is called TAS (Tool Accountability System), and the main database is a .mdf file. When the database is backed up, the file is a .dat file. I am trying to open the file on my ubuntu machine, and have run into problems. I have found that Openoffice can open the .dat file. but I don't know how the information is input in to the file. Openoffice asks about the character set, and that is where I'm stuck. There are too many choices to try and do a line by line, so I need to know if there is a way to find this out. As for the .mdf file, I am just stuck. I've tried to search for answers, but I can't find any.

I want to open the files because the program in general keeps dumping tool boxes, and it takes time to restore or rebuild. Too much time for the bosses.

As a programmer, I have not dealt with SQL in any way, so I am unfamiliar with it. And help would be greatly appreciated.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Viewing database files

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Re: Viewing database files

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:51 PM

.mdf is access

I dont understand this part

I am trying to open the file on my ubuntu machine, and have run into problems. I have found that Openoffice can open the .dat file. but I don't know how the information is input in to the file

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:56 PM

excel doesn't like it either. When I try to open the file in Openoffice, it asks for the character set. thats the info about it i dont have. Obviously without that info i cant see the correct data in it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:47 AM

Have you tried just changing the extension type to open it or open it with notepad?

Make sure you have backups before you mess with it.

Can the dump not be changed to another type?

Light reading if it will help in any way.

Also it could possibly be a csv.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1