4 Replies - 8997 Views - Last Post: 09 May 2012 - 08:07 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

where do you start with wordpress ?

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:08 PM

Hey guys

I want to start developing websites using Wordpress. Anybody here a wordpress developer or know anything about where to start or what website is good for resources. IS there any video tutorials or ebooks on this ?

Thanks
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: where do you start with wordpress ?

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: where do you start with wordpress ?

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:11 PM

Plenty of books on it.

Personally I think their website's damn fantastic at explaining things.

I would also suggest installing XAMPP or MAMP or LAMP or what ever your OS's "AMP flavor" is.. then install word press on it locally and go to town.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:29 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 25 April 2012 - 02:11 PM, said:

Plenty of books on it.

Personally I think their website's damn fantastic at explaining things.

I would also suggest installing XAMPP or MAMP or LAMP or what ever your OS's "AMP flavor" is.. then install word press on it locally and go to town.

As modi123_1 says their website is a great place to start.

Are you planning on developing themes ? or plugins?

Once you get the general idea of how wordpress needs the theme layed out in order to work you will be on your way.

Note that you may crack open a themes folder and see many .php files they are not all needed, end of the day for a WordPress page to run it only needs 3 basic files
header.php,footer.php,index.php, the header and footer are necessary for the hooks to be usable in your theme (ie allows WordPress to do it's thing security wise,etc).

Suggested site to visit:

line25.com

Of these:
ThemeShaper.com - is very useful (bit long winded).

css-tricks.com - has videos but the actual site itself is great for tips and tricks in general.

ThemeTation.com - is also very long winded but also contains a few pages that explain what the template tags (one example) are and how to use them.

This site has a list of some basic themes that you can start with and edit to your hearts content.

This was a random find that I never really used as I enjoy using notepad++ for most php coding, you could always look at the newer versions of dreamweaver (think they can display php code, not 100% on this).

I could go on but I think this is enough rambling to get you going.

At the end of the day just install XAMPP or similar, install wordpress on it, open a theme and see what makes it all happen.

As for plugins well that is another story for another post :P

Cheers
Floppy

This post has been edited by floppyspace: 25 April 2012 - 06:31 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 April 2012 - 01:05 PM

[quote name='floppyspace' date='25 April 2012 - 06:29 PM' timestamp='1335403775' post='1608887']

View Postmodi123_1, on 25 April 2012 - 02:11 PM, said:

This site has a list of some basic themes that you can start with and edit to your hearts content.

From this link provided by floppyspace, I have personally used the Starker blank theme. The blank theme is basically just a CSS reset.

The benefit of using a blank theme is you don't have to dissect an existing theme and find out why certain things display certain ways on an existing theme because everything is zeroed out.

Sorry, looks like I cut too much out there... the quoted text was actually by floppyspace.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:07 AM

Hi there!
I think it would be best if youll use a localhost for practicing wordpress..
There are numbers of tutorials out there and try to watch the basic ones first..
Just tell me if you want some links and for some questions.. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1