10 Replies - 943 Views - Last Post: 08 July 2012 - 08:49 PM

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

GuildWars 2 Beta

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:01 AM

Not sure how many people have been following the game up to this point, but there is a beta weekend starting in about 4 hours (at noon PDT). Who is going to be a part of it? Who has preordered the game? And what server (world) are you planning on joining? And, finally, what class(es) are you most excited about playing?

I am personally going to be part of it, I preordered the game the first day it was available and can't wait for it to come out (though a beta opportunity is nice too). I am also going to join the Darkhaven US server. I haven't come up with a beta character name yet, but I'll come up with something. I am personally looking forward to playing the Guardian, Ele, and Mesmer the most (probably in that order as well).

If anyone else is going to be part of the beta we should try and meet up at some point and have a DIC in GW2 playtime :)

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: GuildWars 2 Beta

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: GuildWars 2 Beta

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:14 AM

I want this so badly it almost makes me cry.

It is for that reason I must abstain from the beta and the game.

My children wandered lost for years as mommy busted ass on the original GW campaigns. I can't orphan them again for GW2.

:cry2:
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:20 AM

But they're older now, they should be self-sufficient by now right?
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• XNArchitect
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:20 AM

I'm leaving work early today so that I can be home by 3pm when the beta starts. I've been waiting for this game since ArenaNet announced it. I'll be on Sea of Sorrows under the name Kilorn, so feel free to contact me if you're in there.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:25 AM

I have all the others and I have never finished any of them....

in other news diablo3 may 15
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:36 AM

View PostBetaWar, on 27 April 2012 - 09:20 AM, said:

But they're older now, they should be self-sufficient by now right?

Have them join you, even! It's always good to have loyal minions about.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 May 2012 - 03:44 PM

Well, now that the beta is done (for this weekend at least), what did people think? I have a rather lengthy write-up (currently in progress), but here is what I have so far:

Spoiler

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 June 2012 - 06:04 PM

For anyone still paying attention to GW2, I am excited to announce the final beta weekend, and the launch date of the game.

Our last beta weekend will take place July 20nd - 22nd.
The game will release on August 28th.

Let the girlish squeels begin ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• XNArchitect
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 June 2012 - 06:08 PM

Yea, I saw that on Twitter yesterday and I'm incredibly excited. Unfortunately the release date is like 3 days before my current lease runs out and the wife and I are moving away from this crappy apartment complex during that time. At least I'll get to play a couple days in the head start period. Just gotta make sure we complete the move fast so we can get to gaming!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 July 2012 - 02:17 PM

Well, let us try to get some sort of a discussion started here.

Based on what people have seen between the beta weekends and the stress tests (there have been two of each at this point), what would you like to see changed? What is driving you up the wall? What do you absolutely love? What are you hoping to see in the final game?

I personally think that the skill system needs to change quite a bit (I placed this on the suggestions forum during the previous beta weekend, though it didn't get any replies that I saw). At the moment they are using a tiered system, where you have to purchase x skills in each tier to unlock the next one. I think that a skill tree system would work significantly better. Start off with some low level skills and work your way down to more powerful ones like Diablo 2's system. They could also make a different tree for each of the trait lines, which would be interesting and give you an easy way to figure out which traits will change which skills.

I would also like to see a larger number of skills available to the majority of classes. At the moment the elementalists have by far the largest number of skills (around 27 per attunement and 4 of those, making for about 104 skills in total -- in comparison with the ~27 of the rest of the classes). They should bring back some of what made the classes unique and interesting from GW1, such as Conjure Phantasm, for the Mesmer.

Now if you played the finale in the second beta weekend, you likely ran into the giant corrupted devourer (level 80, in a 5-20 area). I am uncertain if they plan on allowing this type of thing in the actual game, but if they do they are going to need to not auto-reduce player levels while facing such enemies. I was level 35 at the time (14 by auto-leveling) and dealt only 0s to it. Don't get me wrong, they likely did it on purpose and it was a lot of fun to run around playing the finale, but having something that was unwinnable isn't the most fun.

Other than that I think that the weapons need to have a larger number of skills each (such as 5 skills for the sword and 5 for the shield, and 10 for two-handed weapons such that you can select from different skills to make your weapon builds and have higher variation in builds.

Skills need to be better balanced as well. For instance, the Guardian skill Sanctuary, which is supposed to be a protective barrier for anyone within only has the radius of 120, and many melee attacks have 130 for range (meaning you can still get hit if the melee character places themselves properly).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 July 2012 - 08:49 PM

In no real order:
  • cons
    • downward level adjustment
    • item damage
    • skill tiers & how skill points are earned
    • No more multi classing

• pros
    • open world
    • ability system
    • world events
    • mobile combat
    • character customization

Even though I said I disliked the skill tiers, I really like the ability system overall. I like that your weapon determines half of your abilities. I also like that the number of abilities you can have equipped at any given time is small. However, I do really hate how skill points are earned. You have to walk to random places and do a mini-quest and you get a skill point. As far as I know there is no other way to gain skill points.

For people not familiar with the original guild wars, you picked a primary profession(class in other games) at character creation and then during the game you could have any other profession as a secondary. You gained the skills and non-primary attributes of your secondary allowing for great flexibility. I'm sad to see it go.

The mobile combat is great. Not only are almost all of your abilities able to be used on the run, but you can actually have your character do rolls to avoid incoming damage.

One thing I'm not sure if I like is the loss of dedicated support. I know that everyone is now forced to have a heal and that several, if not all, classes have party support skills. However, I really did like playing my monk and keeping everyone alive.

@BetaWar: how is Conjure Phantasm a uniquely mesmer skill? It's nowhere near as awesome as psychic instability, panic (both of which are admittedly elites,) arcane conundrum, or clumsiness.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1