11 Replies - 9329 Views - Last Post: 19 January 2013 - 03:05 PM

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Is IP address of my laptop constant?

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:09 AM

Hi,this might look like a dumb question, but I have almost zero knowledge about networking, so please bear with me. Is the IP address of a computer constant? That is, suppose I am using a wireless Internet Service Provider and I find that my IP address is x. Then I disconnect from that provider, and I plug in another provider. Will my address this time be x, or it may or may not be x, or it will never be x? Please explain.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Is IP address of my laptop constant?

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Is IP address of my laptop constant?

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:11 AM

It could be the same but mostly likely it will change. In theory your NIC's MAC address won't change but the ip is flexible and dynamic.

Some reading in IP addresses:
http://www.cisco.com...0800a67f5.shtml
http://www.makeuseof...-a-router-work/
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• XNArchitect
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:13 AM

The only way you can guarantee that your IP Address will not change, is by having a static IP address set on the computer. The problem with this, however, is that if your IP scheme doesn't fall within the same subnet(s) as what has been configured for the router that you are connecting to, then you will not be able to access the internet.

This post has been edited by Kilorn: 01 May 2012 - 11:14 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:16 AM

My ISP has an annoying habit of changing IP addresses quite frequently, even without me disconnecting. Then they charge a monthly fee to make it "static". (The effort for that, on their part, is nothing more than checking an option in whatever software they use to control these things.)

So no, a computer's IP address is not static. In some configurations they can be made static, but more often than not they are dynamic.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:17 AM

Ummm, Kilorn's post was certainly a mouthful!

This post has been edited by cupidvogel: 01 May 2012 - 11:18 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 May 2012 - 01:36 PM

View Postcupidvogel, on 01 May 2012 - 11:09 AM, said:

Hi,this might look like a dumb question, but I have almost zero knowledge about networking, so please bear with me. Is the IP address of a computer constant? That is, suppose I am using a wireless Internet Service Provider and I find that my IP address is x. Then I disconnect from that provider, and I plug in another provider. Will my address this time be x, or it may or may not be x, or it will never be x? Please explain.

I see that none of these answers are clear especially for your question;

First of all, you have a wireless device ( maybe Ap, or maybe wireless router.... doesn't matter) but this doesn't make your Service provider wireless ;) So here is the system;

You take an Ip address from your Internet Service Provider(ISP), and you use a kind of device to connect your computer to internet and which works like a road between your ISP and your computer, we call it "router" So your router is an actually a "gateway" and connects your network to another network (Internet). This how the system works...

Ip; your Ip address can be anything and is given by your ISP, but your gateway makes subnetting and creates a new block of IP addresses to let you to connect as many device as you want. otherwise, you wouldn't connect all our devices to your wireless router because you have only one IP in reality. but because your router created a block of IP addresses, you can... what do i mean ? disconnect your internet and look, your IP is the same because your router assigned it to your computer (host), but IP address which was given by your ISP will be gone, in other words no more internet. (so one is external and other one is internal IP address). generally internal (which was given by router to your computer) starts with 192.168.1.100 and can go up to 192.168.1.254 ...
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 21 May 2012 - 02:00 PM

Thanks.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• "Hurry up and wait"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 May 2012 - 02:28 PM

To correct Erudite, there are Wireless ISPs nowadays.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 May 2012 - 03:43 PM

View PostGunnerInc, on 21 May 2012 - 02:28 PM, said:

To correct Erudite, there are Wireless ISPs nowadays.

thx, i know ;) but the concept is different. i tried to give appropriate answer regarding to the question. thx again
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:39 AM

There are two types of ip addresses. 1. Public ip address and 2. Private ip address. Public ip address is also known as the internet address which was provided by your ISP.

Private ip address is also known as the internal ip address which is assigned by you for computer, laptop etc.

If you disconnect from one ISP to another the computer ip address (private) of your computer will remains same. But , the external ip address (internet) will not be the same. It will differ from one provider to another provider. To check your internet ip address visit the site Ip-details.com
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:38 PM

Sounds like you've got your answer by now, but I'll just add to it. More than most likely, you will acquire a new address. Your adapter is probably set to DHCP, so it will ask the router/gateway for a new IP address every time you connect.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#12 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:05 PM

View Postsweetindia, on 16 January 2013 - 06:39 AM, said:

There are two types of ip addresses.
1. Public ip address

Routable

View Postsweetindia, on 16 January 2013 - 06:39 AM, said:

and 2. Private ip address.

Non-routable.

Look up dhcp lease time. This should answer anything that wasn't covered from all the previous posts.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1