4 Replies - 1729 Views - Last Post: 04 June 2012 - 07:57 PM

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Self hosting

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:54 PM

Hello, I just created a small website and want to host it on my laptop since I am expecting like 5 users in total to access it a year. I want to buy a domain name. My question is what do I do after I purchase it from godaddy. I know DNS must be set up, but I have no idea how, how will people be redirected to my laptop if if they type in my domain name. I have also seen google DNS app but don't really understand if this is what I am looking for?

Cheers

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Self hosting

• Head MFIC
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Self hosting

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:59 PM

The first thing I would suggest is checking that your ISP allows port 80 traffic. Your self hosting will be short lived if you can't answer port 80 requests.

The 2nd thing, you need to setup a dns service, I use dnsexit.com. Either point them to your external ip address, or setup a no-ip account. This will use a service to update the dns if your isp changes your ip address. Which they will if you have a residential service.

The 3rd thing you want to do is forward port 80 requests to your webserver. The internal traffic will work fine, but your router will actually drop port related traffic if there is no rule in place dictating how to handle it.

The last thing you want to do is have a backup procedure in place. What if your laptop has hardware failure, & the data is lost? What if you pizza when you should french-fry, & everything is deleted. What if there is a lightning strike & everything pops & the magic smoke is let out.

Good luck! Welcome to world of administration!
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:03 PM

Thanks for the reply! Is this google DNS app the same thing as dnsexit?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Head MFIC
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:03 PM

No idea, I've never used it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 June 2012 - 07:57 PM

What OS are you using, from your profile it looks like you use linux. Here is a great web server you might rather use.

THTTPD

To answer your question, try calling go-daddy them selves. Normally they answer the calls and someone probably can walk you through it. Else why not try a url redirect, it redirects your .co.nr name to your home IP address. It even supports url masking and port forwarding. If you have any questions you can PM me!

.CO.NR DOMAIN NAME

-Tristan
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1