11 Replies - 1637 Views - Last Post: 29 April 2014 - 04:13 PM

• I don't care
  • member icon

• View blog

SSD or HDD?

Posted 02 May 2012 - 03:24 AM

My HDD just failed, and I'm already shopping for a replacement. A few friends have suggested buying a SSD (Solid State Drive) to install my OS on, and then just carry an external HDD around with me for my bigger files like movies, music, pictures ect.

Should I do this, or should I just buy a new HDD? I'm leaning towards the SSD, but I would like some suggestions before I buy anything.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: SSD or HDD?

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: SSD or HDD?

Posted 02 May 2012 - 03:26 AM

With the SSD you get performance for the price. However the storage space is much lower than an HDD. An HDD is much more prone to failure, as there are no moving parts on an SSD.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I don't care
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 May 2012 - 03:35 AM

Well, which would you recommend for a laptop? As far as I can see, most of the (decent) ones I've looked at are only 2.5" and will fit inside my laptop.

I already own a 500gb external HDD, so it would just be a matter of buying the SSD if it would work for my laptop.

On a side note, I'm more than likely going to buy one of these for my desktop.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 May 2012 - 03:37 AM

Because laptops are portable, the hdd is even more likely to take damage & malfunction.

I can't really make a recommendation because I don't now which is more important to you.

Storage capacity
Speed
Price
Reliability

Those are the determining factors.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I don't care
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 May 2012 - 03:42 AM

Reliability and price, are best, in my opinion.

Looking at the SSDs on Newegg, anything above 60gb is beyond my budget, but 60gb would be more than enough for my OS and a few choice files, should I forget my external.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 May 2012 - 07:01 AM

Personally I would find carrying extra crap around a pain. Sure SSDs are nifty, but if your price point is 80-$90 then just get a normal drive and go bigger.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 05 May 2012 - 10:15 PM

can you just say your price outright?

you say that a 60GB drive is too much, but is it too much by itself or is it too much in addition to a new HDD?

ps,

check out the momentus seagate XT 750GB. It is a hybrid HDD/SSD. Not going to go technical here, but it outperforms all HDDs in its price-range (actually, I'm not aware of ANY HDD it doesn't beat).

It is MADE for users that have a 1-drive lappy, but still need alot of space and don't want to carry an external.

the 750GB is NOT the same as the 500GB version. the larger one is the second gen drive with SIGNIFICANT improvements to the SSD portion, with more performance coming in a future firmware version.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 October 2012 - 01:09 PM

A SSD hard drive tends to be smaller but transfers files faster.
A HDD is bigger but is nit as fast.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:09 AM

I realize that I am very late to this thread but for reference no one has asked about the situation or what type of work will be done on this drive.
If you are prone to being in a hurry and throwing your laptop in your bag before the HHD has time to spin down; kids who handle the laptop a little rougher then they should, or other situations that a physically durable drive would be best then SSD is your best choice. If you treat your laptop well there is very little durability difference from a HHD to SSD.

For work most applications will show significant improvement with a SSD but be weary if you are a database engineer. The constant read/write to the SSD can significantly reduce its life.

If You are still up in the air with your decision then a hybrid drive or replacing your CD drive with a HHD caddy like the one here http://eshop.macsale.../OWC/DDAMBS0GB/ . That way you can use the SSD for your OS and main drive while having a HHD in your "CD drive" slot. That way you don't have to carry around your external.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 April 2014 - 09:33 PM

I've built my own PC and I have a 1TB WD HDD for storage and a 120GB SSD for my OS and I can really tell the difference! But if money is a factor than I'd just get a nice HDD, you don't want to be lugging around a external all the time.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 April 2014 - 11:28 PM

That last post was from November 2012. Be aware of necroposting topics.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 April 2014 - 04:13 PM

SSHD! I just got one it has great performance for the price of a HHD. A SSHD is essentially a HD with a large cache in front of it (Think of it as a large L4 cache). So you get SSD performance if the accesses are spatially/time local.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1