5 Replies - 1039 Views - Last Post: 12 July 2012 - 03:11 PM

#1 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

[link] Why Wine and Macbooks Don’t Mix…and How to Handle the Aftermath

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:47 AM

http://net.tutsplus....-the-aftermath/

In case you were wondering what would be a good way to save your macbook if you dropped a glass of wine on it.. a good piece of knowledge to keep a hold of in case it happens!

Ready for a revelation? A concept that you’ve never considered before? Well here it is: never ever, ever pour a glass of wine into your Macbook keyboard. Or, more practically put, be extremely careful when there’s a drink of any kind near your laptop. If a spill occurs, and you don’t act quickly enough, you’ll find yourself staring at a massive bill for a new logic board, hard-drive, battery, and anything in between.

Accidents do happen — so plan on it. What’s more important is that you learn exactly what to do when these spills inevitably occur.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: [link] Why Wine and Macbooks Don’t Mix…and How to Handle the Aftermath

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Re: [link] Why Wine and Macbooks Don’t Mix…and How to Handle the Aftermath

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:51 AM

from what I understand without reading the article is that if you cover an electronic device in rice for a few days it will suck out all the liquid and moisture from said object.

We tried this with a cell phone and it worked. So I will assume it probably will work with all electronics.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:52 AM

Yeah I have heard about the rice thing as well.. Though it's rare for me to have a done of rice on hand.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 May 2012 - 06:42 PM

PC Users spill water, Apple users spill Wine.

Also the first time I read this, I thought it was the wine emulator. Derp.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 25 May 2012 - 03:23 PM

Art students spill Glue :P

Even if the laptop does not come back to life, I can still fix it. I know some tricks to bring the motherboard back to life. And even if I have to replace the whole motherboard it's still cheaper than a buying a new laptop.

My sister dropped her phone in used motor oil. It didn't short out the electronics since oil is non conductive, but the speakers where all messed up. They sounded real funny since they still had oil around the coil packs plus the phone was always slippery.

This post has been edited by calvinthedestroyer: 25 May 2012 - 03:24 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 July 2012 - 03:11 PM

Major major bummer. I've never had to resolve a wine issue, but I was able to revive a dead MacBook Pro that decided to splash around with a bottle of water. I went the rice route at first, but was still having problems. The battery decided to swell up, and I was still having difficulty getting it to power on consistently. I replaced the battery, and then completely disassembled it. There was quite a bit of corrosion on the logic board that I was able to clean up with a cotton swab and some rubbing alcohol. Once I got rid of that, it worked like a charm. Very pleased that I didn't have to lay out $1200 for a new logic board! Only problem I have now is my optical drive is shot. Oh well. Physical media is dying anyway, right? :-)

Long story short, I keep my wine/bottled water/et. al at a distance. Lesson definitely learned.

Gabe
Ruby On Rails Development
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1