1 Replies - 599 Views - Last Post: 02 May 2012 - 05:27 PM

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Projects became encrypted when I used ext. drive on laptop. Now what?

Posted 02 May 2012 - 04:26 PM

I've never had this happen before and have no idea what caused it to happen now or how to handle it.

I have always kept my Visual Studio projects on an external drive. Works great for years. Let's me take the drive from work to home to laptop on the road and all my PC's point to the K: drive to get their code so there are no synchronization issues.

Last month my employer issued me a great new HP laptop just before a trip.
I went back to work on my desktop today only to find that all of the .csproj files I worked on have somehow been marked for encryption and belong to the user from my laptop (Clint@ClintTop)

They won't open on my desktop development PC because access is denied. I can't seem to add a new user in the User Access dialog shown here so I can use these again.

What really perplexes me is that it isn't all the files: Just the .csproj files.

• Anyone ever seen this?
  • Is there an option other than putting my laptop on the network and copying these across the network to my desktop and HOPE that the copies can be opened?
  • Is there a certificate from the laptop I can copy to my desktop?

I'm really in a Whiskey Tango Foxtrot situation here.

Sorry for the filename blurring: This is from work.
Attached Image

UPDATE: Its not BitLocker because it isn't turned on for any drive
Attached Image

This post has been edited by tlhIn`toq: 02 May 2012 - 05:06 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Projects became encrypted when I used ext. drive on laptop. Now what?

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Projects became encrypted when I used ext. drive on laptop. Now what?

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:27 PM

So here's what finally worked.

• Went to computer where encryption had somehow been turned on.(My laptop)
  • Exported the User Certificate (to the ext drive for pure convenience)
  • Connected the drive to the desktop PC
  • Double-click the certificate for the import wizard.
  • -At this point I can open the files but they are still marked for encryption
  • Confirmed I could turn it off on a couple individual files.
  • Went to the root level of the drive, selected the Code directory, got properties, make changes to turn off encryption, then said yes to propagating them down to all files and folders within.

I still don't know how this got turned on in the new laptop or if it was on by default by HP. So I don't know how to turn off encryption by default and fear that every time I use VS on the laptop that I'll have to go through this process again to decrypt all the files after going back to the desktop.

So if someone knows where that setting could be in Win7Pro I'd appreciate knowing. - Cheers.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1