10 Replies - 1027 Views - Last Post: 18 May 2012 - 10:42 AM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Suggest a database for this project?

Posted 04 May 2012 - 12:16 PM

Sometime in the future, my wife wants to open her own business. One of the main components would be the ability to schedule appointments and also sell items.

I would like to make her a custom PoS interface that does the scheduling, invoicing and inventory management for her company. My question is: does anyone know of a lightweight database system that could easily be deployed?

Initially, this database should just be small enough to handle one store location, the inventory, personnel, and schedule, and probably be deployed on just one system. Depending on the success of the business, I could see that maybe this database would have to be accessible over a network and have multiple stations connected to it, so I was thinking about SQL Server (since I'm familiar with it). Possibly SQL Express, but I don't want to get limited in the future and have to completely rebuild everything. I suppose that maybe I could start with a local copy of SQL Express and just migrate over to a full-featured version of SQL should her business grow enough to warrant that.

If you have experience with SQL Express, what can you tell me about it?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Suggest a database for this project?

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Suggest a database for this project?

Posted 04 May 2012 - 12:24 PM

yeah.. go with MSSQL Express. If you have used regular MSSQL Server it's the same with minor limitations on the size and what not.. it's not a resource hog and is damn efficient for being free.

http://msdn.microsof...SQL.110%29.aspx
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Your Friendly Local Curmudgeon
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 May 2012 - 07:07 AM

I second modi's opinion. This gives the limitations (e. g. only 1 cpu, only 10gb db size, etc.). If you get past the limitations, I'd say you're making enough money to afford to upgrade.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 May 2012 - 07:36 AM

Oooo... the upped the storage limit on SQL Express again! Nice. Then again...

A database is a database is a database. It really depends on what features you're looking for that aren't just Tables and SQL. If all you want is standard database stuff, you can use pretty much anything.

If you're in Windows world and using other Microsoft tools, like Visual Studio, then MS SQL Express is an easy choice. If, instead, you want to run a database on some old hardware without limitation, the Open Source route is another option.

Depending on the scale of the project, I'll start with SQLite and move to MySql for bigger stuff. I run MySql on head Linux virtual machines, but you can use any old piece of hardware with a network connection.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 May 2012 - 01:03 PM

View Postbaavgai, on 17 May 2012 - 09:36 AM, said:

If all you want is standard database stuff, you can use pretty much anything.

Except Access.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 May 2012 - 01:07 PM

... and a flat file. No text files!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 May 2012 - 01:16 PM

View PostBobRodes, on 17 May 2012 - 03:03 PM, said:

Except Access.

Access is not a database. Hence, does not come into the picture.

Yes, never Access. It's a single user toy that's burnt untold numbers of naive developers.

"Anything" within the parameters of multi user support. That is, not crash if more than you is using it. ( Access fails this. ) I like SQL based RDBMS systems, but if one of those new fangled NoSQL things works for you, fine.

A file on a file system is NOT a multi user object. You can go out of your way to allow multiple people to access it, but you're reinventing the wheel. By extension, an XML, Excel file, CSV file, etc, is not a valid database.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 17 May 2012 - 01:21 PM

I use ms sql at work all the time and I find the strutures and table creation very easy and would be good for someoen who doesnt use sql all the time.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 May 2012 - 01:33 PM

View Postbaavgai, on 17 May 2012 - 03:16 PM, said:

View PostBobRodes, on 17 May 2012 - 03:03 PM, said:

Except Access.

Access is not a database. Hence, does not come into the picture.

Yes, never Access. It's a single user toy that's burnt untold numbers of naive developers.

"Anything" within the parameters of multi user support. That is, not crash if more than you is using it. ( Access fails this. ) I like SQL based RDBMS systems, but if one of those new fangled NoSQL things works for you, fine.

A file on a file system is NOT a multi user object. You can go out of your way to allow multiple people to access it, but you're reinventing the wheel. By extension, an XML, Excel file, CSV file, etc, is not a valid database.

Preferable would be QBASIC and text files, modi's disapprobation notwithstanding. It's easier to troubleshoot multiuser and security issues...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 18 May 2012 - 04:44 AM

I'm already having the trouble of trying to get one division at work to stop using access because its a pain in the ass.

As for this project, it's probably a few years down the road. I just wanted to keep it in mind and fish for some suggestions. I'm plenty familiar with MSSQL, but I wasn't sure how their SQL Express held up. I'm assuming that SQL Express would probably handle what she would need to start out.

Does anyone know if there is an easy migration/update tool from SQL Express to regular SQL? I would assume there is, otherwise I can just restore a backup to the full version (should work, right).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 May 2012 - 10:42 AM

Yes, a very easy one. Back up your database on SQL Express and restore it to SQL "regular" of which there are several flavors. Oops, I just read the rest of your post and you're way ahead of me. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1