8 Replies - 289 Views - Last Post: 06 May 2012 - 03:39 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Photo Program

Posted 06 May 2012 - 01:44 PM

Hey Guys. I've been trying to create a photo program for some time now, but I don't fully understand everything. I know how to make a window that opens and all, but I don't know how to make slots in the program so i could upload the photo's into those slots. Any help would be great!

-Modz
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Photo Program

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Photo Program

Posted 06 May 2012 - 02:10 PM

I know how to make a window that opens and all, but

The GUI (Window) is the last part of building an application. Not the first. Any half-way awake intern can drag n drop controls in a graphic IDE. All the design of operation, object classes, events, interactions and so on are first. All the "under the hood" has to be designed first. Wiring that up to GUI controls is last and the simplest part of writing a program: Often handed off to interns that only know this part but nothing of actual software development. A good graphic artist can build the GUI and make it look better than most engineers would. So the artists can be set on that task while the developer starts a new project. The interns and artists are less expensive to a company than a good software engineer so the company would rather not waste a developer's time on GUI.

Please don't be offended when I say this... It sounds like you need to work a lot more on first learning the language and concepts before you can start designing programs from the ground up. There is actually a lot of "engineering" to be a "software engineer". It isn't just typing code. It is designing and planning. For now, just keep working your way through self-teaching books and tutorials.

There are three routes people seem to take when learning programming.
  • Just start trying to create programs
  • Start taking apart other programs and try to figure out the language by reverse engineering
  • Follow a guided learning course (school or self-teaching books)

For the life of me I can't figure out why people try 1 & 2.
Sure, 35 years ago the only way I could learn BASIC as a kid was to type programs from a book into a TRS-80 model 1 or Commodore VIC-20, then figure out the commands and syntax by watching the results as the program ran. There simply wasn't any courses for a kid back then.

But now, you can't help but to trip over "Learn {coding language} in 3 weeks" type books and the entire internet is at your disposal for tutorials.

I strongly suggest taking the guided learning approach. Those book authors go in a certain order for a reason: They know what they're doing and they know the best order to learn the materials.

Where do I start?

You start by learning a coding language FIRST.
Learn to plan before you type.
THEN you start designing software with a purpose.

If this sounds like you

Newbie/Rookie said:

I have a little programming experience but I need to write ...
read this section
Spoiler

Otherwise, you can just jump to the resources here:
Some of the tutorials below are for C# or Java not C, C++, VB.NET [...]. But the conceptual stuff of classes, object oriented design, events etc. are not language specific and should give you enough guidance in theory of program development for you to be able to look-up specific code example in your chosen coding language.

Resources, references and suggestions for new programmers. - Updated Mar 2012
Spoiler

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 May 2012 - 02:43 PM

View PosttlhIn`toq, on 06 May 2012 - 02:10 PM, said:

I know how to make a window that opens and all, but

The GUI (Window) is the last part of building an application. Not the first. Any half-way awake intern can drag n drop controls in a graphic IDE. All the design of operation, object classes, events, interactions and so on are first. All the "under the hood" has to be designed first. Wiring that up to GUI controls is last and the simplest part of writing a program: Often handed off to interns that only know this part but nothing of actual software development. A good graphic artist can build the GUI and make it look better than most engineers would. So the artists can be set on that task while the developer starts a new project. The interns and artists are less expensive to a company than a good software engineer so the company would rather not waste a developer's time on GUI.

Please don't be offended when I say this... It sounds like you need to work a lot more on first learning the language and concepts before you can start designing programs from the ground up. There is actually a lot of "engineering" to be a "software engineer". It isn't just typing code. It is designing and planning. For now, just keep working your way through self-teaching books and tutorials.

There are three routes people seem to take when learning programming.
  • Just start trying to create programs
  • Start taking apart other programs and try to figure out the language by reverse engineering
  • Follow a guided learning course (school or self-teaching books)

For the life of me I can't figure out why people try 1 & 2.
Sure, 35 years ago the only way I could learn BASIC as a kid was to type programs from a book into a TRS-80 model 1 or Commodore VIC-20, then figure out the commands and syntax by watching the results as the program ran. There simply wasn't any courses for a kid back then.

But now, you can't help but to trip over "Learn {coding language} in 3 weeks" type books and the entire internet is at your disposal for tutorials.

I strongly suggest taking the guided learning approach. Those book authors go in a certain order for a reason: They know what they're doing and they know the best order to learn the materials.

Where do I start?

You start by learning a coding language FIRST.
Learn to plan before you type.
THEN you start designing software with a purpose.

If this sounds like you

Newbie/Rookie said:

I have a little programming experience but I need to write ...
read this section
Spoiler

Otherwise, you can just jump to the resources here:
Some of the tutorials below are for C# or Java not C, C++, VB.NET [...]. But the conceptual stuff of classes, object oriented design, events etc. are not language specific and should give you enough guidance in theory of program development for you to be able to look-up specific code example in your chosen coding language.

Resources, references and suggestions for new programmers. - Updated Mar 2012
Spoiler

Wow. Thank you. I really need this program done soon, So is there a way I could like connect with you and you code it for me. I would be willing to pay if it interests you.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 May 2012 - 02:53 PM

================================================
TIP:
You don't have to quote the entire previous message every time. It just makes the entire thread very, very long. If your comments are directly related to the last post you can just use reply box at the end of the page.

If you are responding to just a small portion of an earlier comment, then use the Quote and Respond button, but edit the portion quoted to just the part you are responding to. It keeps the reading more coherent to the rest of us without bloating the threads.
======================================

I'm not at all interested in doing your homework for you. Few people here would be. All that does is put yet another unqualified person in the career field we work in. Its basically polluting your own river that feeds your family.

If you're not interested in this stuff then why did you take the class?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 darek9576  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Lover

Posted 06 May 2012 - 03:00 PM

He never said he is interested in it. Since he needs this program soon, i guess it's a student, trying to get some sort of assignment done.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 May 2012 - 03:08 PM

Right. That's why I asked. If he's not actually interested in learning this stuff then why take the course?

I certainly don't spend thousands of dollars in tuition and create a huge time and effort commitment to learn Vegetarian Viking Culinary Arts if I have no interest in it or don't intend to actually make use of those skills. If I intend to make use of those skills then I don't cheat myself by paying others to do it for me and come out of the course as clueless as when I signed up.

So that's why I asked the OP why he signed up.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 May 2012 - 03:23 PM

View PosttlhIn`toq, on 06 May 2012 - 03:08 PM, said:

Right. That's why I asked. If he's not actually interested in learning this stuff then why take the course?

I certainly don't spend thousands of dollars in tuition and create a huge time and effort commitment to learn Vegetarian Viking Culinary Arts if I have no interest in it or don't intend to actually make use of those skills. If I intend to make use of those skills then I don't cheat myself by paying others to do it for me and come out of the course as clueless as when I signed up.

So that's why I asked the OP why he signed up.

Lol. I'm not a student, and definitely not in any class for this. I was just wondering if you could code it for me, since my mom needs it for her pics.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 May 2012 - 03:28 PM

I don't think you want to pay the costs associated with having a peice of software developed. That tends to run into tens if not hundreds of thousands of dollars. Software development is not cheap. But when you spend $20,000 to develop something that sells 100,000 copies it becomes profitable.

If you just talking about mom's photo album there are TONS of programs out there. Just buy her one. Picasa is free. Adobe lightbox. iPhoto if you have a mac. There are lots of photo programs out there.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 darek9576  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Lover

Posted 06 May 2012 - 03:39 PM

I agree. Get some free stuff of the shelf.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1