5 Replies - 779 Views - Last Post: 07 May 2012 - 12:54 AM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Beginning 3D Programming

Posted 06 May 2012 - 10:18 PM

For the last 10 months, I've been working with actionscript trying to learn the basics and mastering them. Now that I have my basics and logic thorough, I want to move on to 3D programming. Since this is a big step, I want to make sure I go about it the right way. What should be my next step? I was thinking c++ with directX and SFML. Which should be the best option for someone new in this? And most importantly, what are the tools that I need? Like IDE and SDKs?
Thanks in advance.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Beginning 3D Programming

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Beginning 3D Programming

Posted 06 May 2012 - 11:24 PM

Since you've already taken the time to master ActionScript, why not start by moving on to Stage3D? It would allow you to get to know 3D programming in an environment you are already comfortable with, whereas if you move onto C++ you'll have to start by getting used to a whole new environment. (And C++ is not the easiest language to learn.)

That is, unless you already know C++ fairly well?
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 May 2012 - 11:39 PM

I've had my C++ days as well. Familiar with the basics. That's all. Still when it comes to 3D, I'm still a toddler. Unity is something else that I had in mind. If I am to work with C++, how do you suggest I start off?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• They don't think it be like it is, but it do
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 May 2012 - 11:44 PM

How far into C++ are you? It isn't the easiest language but there were links off this page: http://www.dreaminco...d-game-engine/.
Also Unity could have potential for you but you'll need to decide which path to take. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 May 2012 - 12:43 AM

Thankyou for that link. Very helpful indeed. In the long run, I intent to settle down with C++ because of it's potential. I don't know if unity is a great place to start because I thought it would make one feel lazy. What are your thoughts on this?
As of now, I need to get my basics strengthened. I'm reading up on vectors and 3D geometry in the meantime.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• They don't think it be like it is, but it do
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 May 2012 - 12:54 AM

I don't know if unity is a great place to start because I thought it would make one feel lazy. What are your thoughts on this?

I totally agree with you there. I have always seen any game development program in which the user simply adds 'actions' and drags and drops things and animates sprites by using fancy tools as a lazy way out of building the real thing.
A notable example for me is GameMaker. My friends found it quite popular and still make games with it. When I sit down and code my games in VB, my friends see it and say "Is that your game? That looks pretty crap to me. Where are the graphics? You should see what I made in GameMaker. I set up this thing that shoots bullets at the player and when you collect a magic banana you can teleport to any level in the game."
I think that when people don't program their games they don't appreciate how much effort we programmers put into them.
It is frustrating and disappointing at the same time. There is so much potential, so many great ideas, but just not enough application and they end up being added to the crap pile because people have no motivation.
My motivation is "enjoy my success."
So they are my thoughts on this.

This post has been edited by DimitriV: 07 May 2012 - 12:58 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1