6 Replies - 1576 Views - Last Post: 07 May 2012 - 02:10 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Looking for tablet but really like Linux

Posted 07 May 2012 - 12:27 AM

So I'm looking for a tablet. I currently have a Toshiba NB505 netbook that I use to take notes on during my classes. I'm taking Calculus next semester and I'd like to get a tablet so that I can draw equations onto my notes as well. The problem is though I'm a CS major and I'd like to be able to run and compile code on whatever device I'm using to take notes. I've looked around at getting Linux on tablets and it doesn't look like there's an easy way to do it. I'm currently torn between the Toshiba Thrive and the Asus Transformer. I like the Transformer just for it's keyboard docking station but I love to the Thrive it just feels good and runs fairly well. Problem is I don't think there is any sort of compiler for Android. I've thought about an SSH connection but don't want to have to rely on a net connection, I'd also miss my GUI text editors. I also thought about a remote desktop but again don't want to need a net connection. I know I could get Linux running on the tabs but a simpler solution would be better just in case anything goes wrong in the middle of the semester. I was looking at the Vivaldi but I'd like a ten inch screen. Anybody know of a better way or got an suggestions?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Looking for tablet but really like Linux

• Hash != Encryption
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Looking for tablet but really like Linux

Posted 07 May 2012 - 12:41 AM

My younger brother received a netbook that folded down into a tablet... Pretty nifty if you ask me. I'm pretty sure you could be able to install linux and figure out how to keep the touch screen functioning. You can still compile code using Windows too, don't forget that.

Don't see why you're looking into a tablet when you can just get a netbook or laptop. My WPM is much higher when using a physical keyboard.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:01 AM

Just remember bluetooth is everywhere. personally I never use the built-in keyboard on my laptop because ergonomically it makes no sense. If you have it at the right height for the keyboard, you have to hunch into a question mark to be at eye level with the screen.
If you have it at the right height for the screen so you can sit up straight you have to type at chin level.

So spend $70 on a full size bluetooth keyboard. I got the Matais folding fullsize and am very happy with it for travel.

Now the same keyboard can be used on my laptop, iPad, iPhone, bedroom media center pc...

Picking out an expensive tablet JUST because it might have a keyboard attached is silly.

Also... Do you already have a laptop or desktop? Is it realistic that you are going to be compiling on a tablet?

Instead of trying to find one device to do everything, maybe look at using a couple devices that each excel in their niche; but can be combined into something even greater.

I have found a great combination to be my HP 17.2" laptop with the iPad. The iPad can do so much... But when I need computing power (development IDE) then I use the laptop with the iPad as a second monitor. Never discount the productivity boost of having two screens!

This post has been edited by tlhIn`toq: 07 May 2012 - 08:05 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:32 AM

If this is for note-taking, the important thing is that you're carrying it with you all day. That says to me small, minimal setup time, preferably fast booting, and capable of running the compilers/IDEs/REPLs/other tools that you're going to need.

This suggests to me a netbook or a small laptop, running two shells: one for your notes and one for whatever you use to edit your code. The keyboard issues that the Klingon mentions are real ones, but for me the PITA of carrying around a spare keyboard plus a stand to elevate the machine to eye level is not worth the bother. If you need to look at the screen while you're taking notes, you probably don't want to take notes on a keyboard anyway. Go back to pen and paper in that case. You need to be engaged in the class, and if you're staring at the screen, you're not doing that.

For your actual working machine, you can either dock this machine in some fashion at your actual workstation or work out some convenient method of syncing your work to your working machine. This is more or less a solved problem - I like subversion for this sort of thing, but there are plenty of ways to go about it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 May 2012 - 01:47 PM

I have a laptop that I have setup as a work station I just need something to bring to class. My laptop is to big to be bringing to class. The tablet would be used for taking notes, and writing equations on in math, but I usually need to quick compile something in class as well. I can't go back to pen and paper because I write to slowly and usually end up missing half of what the teacher says. With the netbook I can type quicker than I can write and I have enough self discipline to stay off the internet and such and pay attention in class. I just need a tablet that can do all this.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 May 2012 - 01:58 PM

How big is your laptop? One of those 24" jobs? I have a 17.2" laptop and don't see how it would be too big for a class setting if I am expected to do compiling on it.

What is everyone else doing/using for this need?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:10 PM

I have a laptop that I have setup as a work station I just need something to bring to class.

I can dig it. I have a little netbook that a friend gave me - ran like crap under windows, works like a champ under Ubuntu. I don't know how easy it is to find these little netbooks right now, I think they didn't really take off, but this is literally half the size of my work machine. (Where the work machine spans the whole width of my bike bag, sitting horizontally, this one fits in vertically, and you could put another in next to it) And really, there's no performance difference that you're going to notice in compiling classroom examples. I imagine that you could create stress situations where the netbook would fold up like a card table, but for what you're talking about, yeah, it makes perfect sense. Especially since little machines like that are going for a few hundred bucks at Micro Center these days.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1