3 Replies - 1564 Views - Last Post: 01 June 2012 - 06:55 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Starting out in computer science!

Posted 07 May 2012 - 12:36 AM

I have been working with java for a while now, i love computer science! :D I've already gotten registered at a community college to take some Comp Sci classes. I really want to hit the ground running! To get a better understanding of programming in general, would you suggest starting to learn other languages in general or should i master java then move on? :D Thanks for the help!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Starting out in computer science!

• D.I.C Lover

Re: Starting out in computer science!

Posted 07 May 2012 - 01:22 AM

By mastering Java, you kind of learn other languages. Study Algoirthms and Data Structures. Once you know when to use an array, array list or linked list, then you can transfer the knowledge to other languages. Give a functional language a go since it allows you to look at problems from a different perspective. Good luck.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 June 2012 - 12:11 AM

I'm going to suggest a different approach according to current job markets. Java development is currently over-burdened by professionals. However, the job market currently has a large opening for C# and Python developers. C# and Java have very similar aspects, but C# is slowly gaining ground on Java due to its library.

My advice, take a class in C# and Java... compare between the two which you prefer. Then focus on one in Community College. Also, you may consider taking a C++ class if it's offered, because for some reason people still use that.

Python or Ruby is very useful to learn. Scripting languages are increasing in popularity for applications that just need to run faster (currently there are a lot of jobs looking for script language programmers for video streaming).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 June 2012 - 06:55 AM

i would agree with both above. Darek says to implement algorithms. Getting a base understanding of object oriented programming, and implementing your own versions of Linked Lists, Generic Classes, sorts, etc are very useful. Jjames is also wise with the language barrier, but if you learn 1 object oriented language, you know most of them, they difference is minor syntax issues, which dont slow you down.

If you really want to hit the ground running, after you get the concepts down, do "52 Weeks of Code" on this website. I would say, doing that programming challenge would give you more experience then some classmates i have encountered back in the day. THat would also give you a nice portfolio to work with for reference material.

I hope that helps.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1