2 Replies - 347 Views - Last Post: 13 May 2012 - 01:13 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Newbie webhosting Q's

Posted 07 May 2012 - 07:28 PM

Hello all, I just decided I want to learn HTML. I'd like to jump right in and get something up and running, but what kind of web hosting services should I be looking at for someone just starting out? For example at register.com their cheapest webhosting service for $11.95/mo has these features:

>Includes 1 Free Domain Name†
>Includes 1 Email Account and Dedicated IP Address
>5GB/250GB storage/data
>FTP Account/MySQL Database
>Intuitive Administrative Controls
>Site Building Tools including content management, e-commerce, blogs, discussion forums, wikis
>100% Uptime Guarantee
>Overdraft Protection
>Site Restore Automatic Backup

Are these important features to have right from the get go? Will I be able to run all the advanced, fun HTML/CSS/Javascript/PHP code I want? Is 5GB/250GB enough space/bandwidth or could that amount be burned through rather quickly?

It also says:

"Easily launch and maintain a site designed in Dreamweaver or Frontpage"

Does this mean those are the defacto software packages I should be using?

Thanks for any info!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Newbie webhosting Q's

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Newbie webhosting Q's

Posted 07 May 2012 - 07:43 PM

If you are just starting out learning HTML I would seriously suggest not worrying about a server just yet. You can code and test HTML, CSS, and Javascript easily on your local computer with nothing more than a text editor and web browser (and as long as you are using a modern browser, things should work pretty well cross-browser as well, though it is always best to test in all browsers you are targeting).

Furthermore, if you are just learning I would also suggest getting a VM (virtual machine) and running Linux (probably Ubuntu for ease of use and setup, unless you know what you are doing in Linux) and setting put a LAMP server (Linux, Apache, MySQL, and PHP) that way you can use databases and PHP without having to pay for a server (VMWare player, and VirtualBox are both free and work pretty well).

As far as any "defacto" software packages, well there aren't any. I commonly use VIM for my modifications, it is just a text editor with syntax highlighting (though more powerful than that once you get used to it), but I have used Notepad in the past (when learning, it works great for teaching you to debug and not to rely on another program). Dreamweaver and frontpage are comercial products which offer FTP uploading to a server. All they are saying there is that they allow the FTP uploads using frontpage and dreamweaver's intended protocols (so it will work out of the box without a ton of configuration). I would still suggest sticking with a text editor, WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) editors tend to make terrible code (not as true these days, but a person can still make far more efficient code quicker than trying to fix code up afterwards).

When it comes to actually finding a host (when you have something that you want to make public to the world) you should do some hunting before picking a host. I use bluehost which offers a ton of features for about $6/month, but GoDaddy offers packages as low as $2/month so it really depends on what you need and what you find as to how much you have to spend. In general, you won't need terribly huge amounts of bandwidth per month unless you have a hugely visited site, are hosting videos, are hosting lots of large image files, or are hosting a gaming server. I believe that my site sends out megabytes per month, not gigabytes. I would say that having a lot of space is nice though. Things gather up over time. It is nice to not have to constantly delete the old to make room for the new.

Hopefully that makes sense.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Newbie webhosting Q's

Posted 13 May 2012 - 01:13 PM

yeah, betawar is right; you probably don't want to start paying now. You can also use free sites such as webs.com or blogspot, tumblr, etc FREE. when you feel like you are then ready then pay for one.

As beta said, you don't need a website to learn html; only a browser.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1