3 Replies - 742 Views - Last Post: 07 May 2012 - 08:23 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Linux AppBar

Posted 07 May 2012 - 07:40 PM

Hello, I want to build an AppBar in Linux. Like Gnome Panel or XFCE Panel. But I can't find the code that will allow me to make a panel. I've dug through numerous source codes looking for how they create the panel but I can't figure it out. The best guess I've got is they create a window with no boarder then stick it to the side of the display. But I don't think this is quite right. Anybody know how to do this?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Linux AppBar

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Linux AppBar

Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:02 PM

This question doesn't seem to have to do anything with computer science.

Anyway we need to know which language and GUI toolkit you're using/planning to use (well, actually the language doesn't matter that much).

The best guess I've got is they create a window with no boarder then stick it to the side of the display. But I don't think this is quite right.

That sounds perfectly right. Usually some additional properties will also be set on the window (sticky, skip_taskbar and possibly skip_pager and non-resizable). Of course how to create a window with those properties or how to place a window at a given position will depend on your GUI toolkit.

This post has been edited by sepp2k: 07 May 2012 - 08:07 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:09 PM

I was thinking about using Python 3 preferably. But C++ wouldn't be bad either. I would just rather not do it in C, I like object oriented. Toolkits...I'm thinking GTK, but I'm open to suggestions, however I did try playing with Qt but didn't like it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:23 PM

Okay, for gtk you should look at the GtkWindow functions. Specifically stick(), set_decorated(false), set_skip_*_hint and set_type_hint. Also set_resizable and set_keep_above if you want.

Edit: The link above should go to developer.gnome.org/gtk3/3.4/Gtk Window .html (without the spaces). For some reason the forum software turns the W in Window into a lower case w, which breaks the link.

This post has been edited by sepp2k: 07 May 2012 - 08:29 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1