3 Replies - 794 Views - Last Post: 20 May 2012 - 04:44 AM

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Web Services and Connecting Them to a Development Server

Posted 09 May 2012 - 03:24 AM

Here's the situation:

I want to do some testing with Facebook Login/Connect etc. The problem is that they request of URL of your site.

I currently don't have a server, so nothing works obviously.

I want to know what other developers do in this situation. Do you just buy some web hosting that supports PHP/ASP.NET/etc, or is there someway to configure your own personal development PC to work?

Keep in mind, this is a personal project, so I can't ask work for a server to burrow/pay for.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Web Services and Connecting Them to a Development Server

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Web Services and Connecting Them to a Development Server

Posted 09 May 2012 - 06:56 AM

Sure.. you can install something like XAMMP or LAMP and use that as a pseudo local webhost.. or if you are on a windows machine just use the IIS as a local host. What system are you on?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:55 PM

using windows.

i'm not entirely sure that solves my problem.

I've used 'localhost servers' by pressing 'start' in xampp and 'run' in VS10 before. as well, i configured apache and the windows host file to resolve using a url rather than the actual ip address. I honestly don't remember what i did, but i would just find a tutorial to repeat that in any case if i had to.

the thing is, can Facebook's servers communicate and authenticate against my server?

in my head, this is what i would need to do to setup a web server on a machine in my house:
1. download apache(directly or included with xampp)/configure a windows 7 pro machine to run the iis role
2. configure my router to forward port 80 (if i'm not mistaken) to that machine
3. make sure that my external ip address and the internal ip addresses BOTH don't change.

I know how to handle DHCP reservations, but I believe I have to pay extra to get a static ip address for my network. if getting the static ip address is required, is there a way NOT to pay?

once those 3 steps are done, I should be able to connect to that server (and its webapps) using its ip address (personally not sure how to setup domain names).

This post has been edited by The Architect 2.0: 10 May 2012 - 08:56 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 May 2012 - 04:44 AM

Shouldn't need a static if its just a personal project. Only thing to watch out for is to check your ip once in a while.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1