8 Replies - 1147 Views - Last Post: 25 May 2012 - 04:29 AM

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

[link] DDR4 memory is coming soon

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:36 AM

http://arstechnica.c...maybe-too-soon/

Hmmm.. new tech to throw money at! This sounds crazy amazing - lower power, more direction connections, and more transfers a second. I bet it would totally rip-roar some Crisis!

What?

The Joint Electron Devices Engineering Council (JEDEC) is expected to sign off on a final DDR4 standard this summer. But a draft of the spec and its key attributes were issued last August. Those preliminary specs call for DDR4 memory to operate at a maximum of 1.2 volts (20 percent less than current DDR3 memory) and achieve data transfer rates of 3.2 billion transfers per second (double that of the top-end speed of DDR3's memory bus).

Initial steps - not quite that fast yet.

Micron's initial memory DDR4 units will handle transfer speeds of 2.4 billion memory transfers per second, with later versions ramping up to the 3.2 gigatransfers per second top-end rate defined by JEDEC; right now, that translates to roughly the same number of bits per second in throughput. Samsung has advertised a throughput of 2.113 gigabits per second for its DDR4. Micron announced that it is also developing x16 and x32 DDR4 memory components.

Oooh! Shiny new features!

The "DDR" in DDR4 is an acronym for "double data rate"—all DDR memory moves data across the memory bus twice for each cycle of the bus' timing clock. That's the most significant bit of architecture that DDR4 shares with its predecessor. Instead of using multiple shared channels to link memory units with the CPU's memory controller, each DDR4 memory module has its own dedicated point-to-point connection.

Aside from the reduced voltage level, DDR4 reduces overall power requirements through an improved version of the pseudo-open drain interface (POD) logic, a technology used in graphics DDR 3. POD logic interfaces draw no current except when they're flipped to their low state—when they connect to ground.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: [link] DDR4 memory is coming soon

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Re: [link] DDR4 memory is coming soon

Posted 11 May 2012 - 12:39 AM

hehe,

i bet the memory companies could get some people with too much money to buy some DDR4 sticks and try to stick them into their current mobos.

on a more serious note:

memory speed upgrades are the biggest con in computer industry*. the ONE area where speed upgrades help are with integrated graphics...at which point, i tell you to spend $60 on a graphics card instead of your memory.

*memory size upgrades aren't honestly worth it either once you hit 4GB.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 May 2012 - 06:45 AM

*memory size upgrades aren't honestly worth it either once you hit 4GB.

I am certain Corel, Photoshop, a fist full of games, and Virtualbox will give a contrary squawk.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 11 May 2012 - 06:55 AM

Windows is also a memory hog-- so if windows is using 3 gig for example and you try to run a program that requires 2 gig and you only have 4 gig that tells me you might be deficient in the memory department.....
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 14 May 2012 - 11:38 PM

RamBus is still better!

:P
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 16 May 2012 - 02:36 PM

View PostDarenR, on 11 May 2012 - 07:55 AM, said:

Windows is also a memory hog-- so if windows is using 3 gig for example and you try to run a program that requires 2 gig and you only have 4 gig that tells me you might be deficient in the memory department.....

i am very interested in how you made windows use 3gb at once.

View Postmodi123_1, on 11 May 2012 - 07:45 AM, said:

I am certain Corel, Photoshop, a fist full of games, and Virtualbox will give a contrary squawk.

who actually plays multiple games at once?

hehe, the 4GB limit was actually in the context of adding more memory to improve gaming performance.

i mean, you COULD be running tons of stuff in the background while gaming...buts lets agree to be reasonable and realistic. otherwise, i'm going to start to talk about using 1500 CPU cores to render a game rather than using 1500 cuda cores.

This post has been edited by The Architect 2.0: 16 May 2012 - 08:35 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 May 2012 - 03:38 AM

Actual Windows 7 uses roughly 1.3 gigs of RAM on my setup add about .8 gigs for other stuff. Throw FireFox in there at 1 gig. Put Winamp in at 1 as well. Now autocad likes 4 gigs to itself for the file size I use. Now the math on that comes out to 8.1 gigs of RAM. So 4 would definately cause me some head ache...

Actual Windows 7 uses roughly 1.3 gigs of RAM on my setup add about .8 gigs for other stuff. Throw FireFox in there at 1 gig. Put Winamp in at 1 as well. Now autocad likes 4 gigs to itself for the file size I use. Now the math on that comes out to 8.1 gigs of RAM. So 4 would definately cause me some head ache...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 23 May 2012 - 08:39 AM

wait... since when does winamp use 1GB of ram?

I can run it on my 486 with only 256megs of ram.

Don't mean 10MEG of ram and not 1GB?

edit: just checked my winXP, winamp uses 10meg.

This post has been edited by calvinthedestroyer: 23 May 2012 - 08:41 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 May 2012 - 04:29 AM

Okay then drop it from the equation still sitting well over.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1