7 Replies - 985 Views - Last Post: 26 May 2012 - 07:15 PM

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Weird motherboard problem

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:32 AM

So, turning on the power on this computer just randomly stopped. I tested the PSU, buttons, jumpers, most of the capacitors, ram, CPU and anything else I could think of. I took the motherboard out initially to get to parts better with voltage testing.

As I got a closer look (pictures below) take notice of the discoloration under the area for the diodes. Would one think replacing the diodes work for a fix here? Or adding solder in the area that suddenly looks lacking? This problem is odd to me as its the first time I have ever seen it while being in the industry for over 5 years and a shop owner now. So, searching through dreamincode, google and bing I figured "hey, just ask them...someone may know"

Any tips appreciated in testing this...thanks in advanced

Attached image(s)

• Attached Image
  • Attached Image
  • Attached Image

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Weird motherboard problem

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Weird motherboard problem

Posted 09 May 2012 - 12:02 PM

Shakey and out of focus photos don't give us much to go on. When you look at the detail in these the shake makes it impossible to see anything clearly.

Attached Image

But to me it looks like a power surge fried traces (and possibles components). That copper looks very heated.

Attached Image

There doesn't seem to be any components that extend through these traces though. So I don't understand their purpose. But if that much juice ran through the board to burn off all that solder: Yikes!
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 10 May 2012 - 07:33 AM

sorry - at that moment all I had was my Pantech tablet to take a picture immediately with so holding a super sized phone still wasn't my numteplumb ... at any rate. I am glad someone else is seeing the same thing I am as far as burned copper and no solder
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:15 AM

If that much power went through the board (enough to melt the solder) Then I would say that more than just your diodes are fried...

Might be easier and cheaper just to replace the board.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 10 May 2012 - 07:53 PM

agreed DarenR ... I will be having person buy a new board. Thanks for input guys. I pretty much figured all of the above its just sometimes comforting to hear everyone jumping off the bridge...if you catch my drift. lol
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 May 2012 - 05:56 PM

The question that I would ask, is how that much power went through the board. If you are shelling out $$$ for a new board, may as well chip in a new $35/$50 & get a higher end PSU while you are at it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 May 2012 - 08:02 AM

Agreed. And $100 for a UPS to filter the incoming power is cheap as insurance goes, too.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 26 May 2012 - 07:15 PM

OK,,,

Those large circuit traces are Ground plains. They are for shielding and heat dissipation.

The Black three legged chips are power regulators.

The fact that they got hot enough to melt the solder off of the back side of the board is BAD.

Not only would I scrap the Mother Board I would also test that Power supply just in case the power supply was the cause of the frailer.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1