4 Replies - 2645 Views - Last Post: 13 May 2012 - 10:48 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Question about 2D MAP (Zelda Like)

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:55 PM

How should I go around creating a 2D map like Zeldas on the SNES but with the ability to load a large map instead of loading bits. If that's not possible, how could i somewhat split the map into 4 pieces. Also If I create a map, how do I add events to doors and make it where the door opens if you have the key. Right now I'm thinking that it will be hard because the map will act sort of like a background image. If that's the wrong way to do it, how should I do it?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Question about 2D MAP (Zelda Like)

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Question about 2D MAP (Zelda Like)

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:30 PM

SixOfEleven has some great tutorials that may help you.
goto: http://xnagpa.net there you could try his RPG tutorials, although he never got to finish them, they do cover tileset mapping quite early and he does get into events in the map (I think..)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 May 2012 - 10:07 PM

I have looked over the tutorial and this author goes way too fast on the subject and jumps around alot.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 May 2012 - 05:35 AM

Well if you can't learn it from an in depth well written tutorial I'm sorry to say a brief post here will not help you at all.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• XNArchitect
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 May 2012 - 10:48 AM

You're going to need to create a tile engine with multiple layers. At least one layer for the actual graphic tiles, one layer for collision, and possibly another layer for triggers, if you want to have special events handled by the map rather than some other method. If you can't make sense of SixOfEleven's tutorials, then you seem to have a lack of understanding of the basics of object oriented programming and/or C#/XNA. You could also check out Nick Gravelyn's tile engine tutorial series on YouTube, which has 94 or so videos that walk you through creating a tile engine from scratch using multiple layers with collision. Nick Gravelyn's videos are slightly old, so they use XNA 3.0 instead of XNA 4.0, so you'll have to make some changes as it goes.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1