3 Replies - 4763 Views - Last Post: 26 March 2013 - 05:08 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

coldfusion masterpage possible?

Posted 12 May 2012 - 01:30 PM

I am an asp.net programmer but I am using coldfusion now and my question is.. whats the best method to do a coldfusion masterpage similar to asp.net ? where all the page features are the same except the title and maincontent ...
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: coldfusion masterpage possible?

#2 Craig328  Icon User is online

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: coldfusion masterpage possible?

Posted 14 May 2012 - 05:50 AM

Welcome to the CF forum iggy407. There are a number of ways to do what you're asking so insofar as a "best" way goes, it really depends more on which way you like best.

In general though CF has a nifty tag called CFINCLUDE that, well, includes whatever code is found on the included page and slots it into the page processing wherever the tag is added.

As you might imagine, if you were to have a base site page and then did CFINCLUDE calls for pages that contain site navigation, header, footer, and other common elements, that would be one way. There are ways to do it using CFMODULE and you can build the separate pieces of the page and call them as component methods using CFCs.

It sounds as though in your case that it would depend on how much expertise you have with CF. The CFINCLUDE description is the easiest to pick up quickly as it's fairly straightforward. I'd suggest giving that one a spin and see how it works for you.

Good luck!
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:47 PM

When you use any coldfusion framework, it is easy to manage master page b'coz there is a master layout for a site.In a master layout we have section for header ,menu,body and footer. Coldfusion framework is easy and some are Object oriented and MVC based. I recommend to use Modelglue,Mach-II, Coldbox ..
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 Craig328  Icon User is online

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 March 2013 - 05:08 AM

Frameworks can indeed be handy but they can also become overbearing and require as much time as the actual application code/logic you're trying to build. Since the OP was a beginning CF dev, recommending a framework probably isn't the way to go initially.

That said, if the OP were to become interested in using a CF framework for organizing his app, I probably wouldn't recommend either Modelglue or MachII. They're going the same way Fusebox went which is to say "bloated". I'd suggest having a look at Sean Corfeld's FW/1 framework.

I don't personally use it but I have had a look and it looks to be a very lightweight and simple means to organize code in an app and does tend to stick to a OOP convention.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1