13 Replies - 4905 Views - Last Post: 08 September 2012 - 09:19 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Learning HTML & CSS - Then What?

Posted 12 May 2012 - 07:47 PM

Hello Coders,

Recently I started learning HTML & CSS and realized that it's not something you pick up in a few days, especially if you wanna master it. If I work on it everyday for 2 hours then after a few month I certainly have a good grip on it I believe :)

Now my question is: After you learn HTML5 & CSS3 and know it well, then what? Like what are the things you can do and the possibilities.. I don't really want to learn server side language like PHP etc.. Javascript might be an option.. I just don't want to go to deep in it but DO learn enough to do cool stuff..

I mean how beneficial would it really be to know HTML5 and CSS3?

Can I have some thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Josh

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Learning HTML & CSS - Then What?

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Re: Learning HTML & CSS - Then What?

Posted 13 May 2012 - 12:28 AM

Can you not just goooooooooooooooggggggggggglllllleeeeeee it? If you want to make static web pages, then yes, do NOT learn PHP. Html will be enough.
Was This Post Helpful? -7
  • +
  • -

#3 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 May 2012 - 01:00 PM

@darek9576: Please don't feel obligated to post if you are just going to yell at people to Google it. We have plenty of resource threads on DIC you are welcome to link to that answer these questions and actually add value to threads.

@joshlove: HTML5/CSS3 allow you to design static web pages, though they definitely allow for more interactive features. Javascript allows for more interactive features as well. You may specifically find jQuery to be of use.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 13 May 2012 - 02:08 PM

So he is asking us, (as if we were Google search engine) and we give him back info by linking him to the resources. Do you want to do it for 500 thousand users + guests on this website. Dont you think if one of them learns how to use Google, the rest will follow and we will have better discussions than is PHP good or bad?, do i need HTML skills to make a website?, what is HTML?, what time is dinner? Next time when you reply to such pointless thread, think twice.
Was This Post Helpful? -1
  • +
  • -

• The Ninjaducky
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 May 2012 - 02:25 PM

darek9576, please do not feel obligated to post in this topic anymore. If you have a question about macosxnerd101 or any other moderators' choices, please feel free to PM that member. For now though, this is your warning. Please do not post in this topic or reply in this fashion again.

If you have any questions, feel FREE to PM one of us.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#6 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 May 2012 - 05:49 PM

View Postdarek9576, on 13 May 2012 - 05:08 PM, said:

So he is asking us,

Please don't include yourself in 'us'. If you do not want to be helpful, then piss off to another website.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 May 2012 - 10:51 PM

Hello @joshlove,

I would personally look at javascript after you get a handle on HTML and CSS, then work your way to HTML5/CSS3.

The reason behind this is(at least for the resources I used) used javascript heavily, and you would not be able to fully grasp what is going on, or why you should structure code a certain way.

Hope that helps.

-Art
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 May 2012 - 12:06 AM

JoshLove,

HTML5 and CSS3 will allow you to do some cooler things in your web pages and make for a more interactive feel in your sites. I recommend the book Head First HTML5 Programming: Building Web Apps with Javascript, since it focuses on HTML 5, but has a brief introduction to Java Script (so you can see if it is for you). Hope this helps, have fun building pages.

Cody
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Monomania
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 May 2012 - 12:20 AM

Learn Javascript. It is not an option, but sort of like a rite of passage for any sane web developer. Or not, as I've yet to find people who don't use Javascript on their web applications.

Some cool stuff to do with HTML5 and CSS3? Well, you could do a little of simple game programming, as I did.

Links(shameless plug! Haha)
http://www.dreaminco...topic247361.htm
http://www.dreaminco...topic249566.htm

As you can see if you inspect the codes within these simple games you'll see they rely heavily on Javascript. You know, learning server - side languages ain't that bad too. If you really want to go deep, there's no escaping them. Guess it's all just up to you when to take the plunge.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 May 2012 - 04:08 AM

Hi there..!
I think learning JQuery would be great too..
It would be also great to learn or at least have a basic idea about php..
And if you feel you want to try and test out your skills,
Go and install Wordpress.. hehe.. It would be fun.. :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Your Friendly Local Curmudgeon
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 September 2012 - 07:34 PM

I would suggest that you learn html, css, javascript and jquery all at the same time. A good starting book is "jquery: the missing manual."
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 September 2012 - 07:41 PM

If you honestly put in two hours every day for two months, you'd be ahead of almost every College Web Student. You'd quickly find yourself looking for a different language. As others have said javascript will be your friend if you are looking for the Cool interactive features. Another similar language to create cool webpages (even though you said you didn't want to learn the server side) would be PHP. I highly suggest at least getting your feet wet with it. Its fairly easy to make some simple PHP pages and it gets you more experience with building robust webpages.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#13 Lemur  Icon User is online

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 September 2012 - 12:13 AM

Depends on your definition of a robust website. I've never particularly liked PHP because of its patchy nature, so I found my way to Ruby, and subsequently Rails.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 September 2012 - 09:19 PM

It's personal preference. Some people love PHP, some Javascript, some Rails. Because of the abundance of stuff out there, I would at least familiarize with PHP and JS.

After that, it's a matter of trying out different approaches and finding one that works for you.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1