Xbox 360 Minecraft

• (2 Pages)
  • +

15 Replies - 1417 Views - Last Post: 16 May 2012 - 08:37 PM

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Xbox 360 Minecraft

Posted 12 May 2012 - 08:36 PM

So, as some of you may know now, Minecraft has come out for the Xbox 360! I downloaded it today off the marketplace, I never played it on the PC though because my computer isn't very powerful. So, I downloaded it today, and I have to admit, so far, it's pretty good. The thing is it only has one version, and I was really looking forward to playing creative mode, I just like to blow stuff up in it. Anyway, so I downloaded it today, but I was shocked to see it cost $20 to buy in Microsoft Points. There'd better be some good updates to make sure it's worth it. What do you guys think of the 360 version of Minecraft?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Xbox 360 Minecraft

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Xbox 360 Minecraft

Posted 12 May 2012 - 08:48 PM

How much does Minecraft cost for the 360? I think I paid $12 for the PC version. That makes $20 for add-ons, unreasonable. imo.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 May 2012 - 08:56 PM

Invisible walls? No thanks. And gabehabe finally got it, albeit the shitty xbox version. I've been begging him to play with me forever, but no.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 May 2012 - 09:01 PM

View PostNeoTifa, on 12 May 2012 - 11:56 PM, said:

I've been begging him to play with me forever, but no.

I can relate. That bastard.

I downloaded minecraft light, for my phone, but it's idea of multi-player is only other phones. It won't connect up to the server.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Hash != Encryption
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 May 2012 - 11:09 PM

This is the part where it becomes less "for the customer" and more "for the profit"
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 May 2012 - 05:52 AM

It is cheaper to purchase on xbox than it is on pc now. I don't see why everyone has got their knickers in a twist about it, just because the majority of people bought it a long time before it was finished and therefore paid less.

I played a bit of the trail and they have improved some things, but I imagine it will take a bit to get used to using a controller for it. I like how you start with a map in your inventory as well.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 May 2012 - 09:34 AM

I'm downloading it now. Does it have the ability to connect to a server?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 May 2012 - 10:02 AM

They say they're going to be releasing an update to it to bring it to the version on PC.

And yes, it's actually 7 dollars cheaper than the PC version. People who paid less than 20 bucks had to of purchased it before the post-beta release when the price was low to give incentive to people to invest early, funding Notch to complete the game.

This post has been edited by lordofduct: 13 May 2012 - 10:02 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 May 2012 - 07:57 PM

I wasn't aware that the price was raised. Thanks for the information you guys :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 May 2012 - 08:24 PM

well ive been playing minecraft since it was in Alpha just turning beta. Got it for 15 Euros (like 20 bucks Canadian/american) compared to how it is now on the PC, its advanced quiet a bit compared to when I first played it. And the IOS and android version came out and it was back in the original alpha stages. So naturally as the Xbox 360 version comes out it will be just like the mobile versions. It will come together and be more like the PC version.

So take it to a grain, Updates are coming to make it better :) just in due time! and chances are just like the version for PC (I learned this when I bought the wife a copy) the price went up to $27 bucks.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 May 2012 - 06:13 AM

Yeah I bought it for $15 in beta.

But yes, I do believe you can connect to servers, but what's the point? as soon as you build 3 major buildings, the map is maxed out.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:08 AM

View PostNeoTifa, on 14 May 2012 - 08:13 AM, said:

Yeah I bought it for $15 in beta.

But yes, I do believe you can connect to servers, but what's the point? as soon as you build 3 major buildings, the map is maxed out.

I think I got it for $20 while it was in Beta.

Yeah, I noticed that. That can't be the maximum size that they make the maps. I mean there are other games with maps 3 times that size. Hopefully in one of the updates they will make the maps bigger.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:19 AM

In minecraft the world is a grid of maps that size. As you move through the world, and you enter regions that didn't exist before, a new region of map 1024x1024 is generated and stored into the full map file. Not all map sections are loaded into memory either, only those needed for all the players in game. This requires hard disk access so that the maps of unloaded regions can persist when not taking up massive blocks of memory.

The xbox has limited memory compared to a computer, no swap or page-file area, and hard-disk access is limited (mainly because not all xbox's have hard disks).

Yes this limitation can be gotten around with some work. And I bet later versions will get around it some how. But it appears they mostly just got the port done with the reworking of the HUD and user-interface, so that gamers can play it. People have been screaming for MC on XBOX for a long while now, and they contracted the work out to a 3rd party to get it done.

Now I'm not really trying to defend Mahjong on this or anything... I'm just trying to explain the actual physical limitations of the hardware in question, and the demands put on them.

Also the trend of the product as a progressively released product with continuous version updates over time. They've stated this same trend will apply to the xbox version, so let the trend occur, the game just was released on it.

Yes the xbox is a few versions behind the PC, but there is a longer pipeline for the xbox version. If Majong wants to add something to the PC version, they just add it, recompile it, put up on the server and you get it. If they want it on xbox, Mahjong must add it, build it, push it down to the xbox team, they must add it, modify it to meet the limitations of a console, build it, qa test it, get verified by microsoft, then put it up on the server. (yes I left qa out of PC, because technically there is NO external verification board they have to deal with... they can release a buggy feature if they want...)

Srsly, this is a forum full of programmers and developers... you'd think you all would understand these issues.

This post has been edited by lordofduct: 14 May 2012 - 10:22 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:37 AM

No, I understood the hardware issue behind the XBox version, I'm just saying, if you're gonna pay for it, might as well get the whole package.

And the price thing, he raised the prices to $20 during beta towards the end of beta, I'm going to say 1.6ish era? I got it during 1.3 I think. I remember discussing the excitement of getting 1.5 with my old boss (he and his kids played)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:45 AM

Note my response was not directed specifically at you, as you were not the only person who said anything about it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +