6 Replies - 11820 Views - Last Post: 08 May 2014 - 11:05 PM

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

PHP Framework with a proven track record?

Posted 13 May 2012 - 03:28 PM

I'm coming from a .NET MVC3 / Ruby on Rails background so I am very familiar with MVC concepts and frameworks from different languages.

I start a new job tomorrow where I'll be working primarily with PHP and based on the descriptions the company have given me, I'll be in a position to choose frameworks for future PHP projects.

I've looked at Kohana, and it was disappointing when even their docs are broken. :S (I don't know what to think)

So with that in mind, that I am not a new programmer and I am not a new MVC programmer, what framework has the most proven track record? I don't need extensibility; I need maturity in tools. Thanks so much for your suggestions.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: PHP Framework with a proven track record?

• 痛覚残留
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: PHP Framework with a proven track record?

Posted 14 May 2012 - 12:02 AM

haven’t used it myself, but the Zend Framework might be worth a look.

personally I like APF, but I wouldn’t call it mature yet

This post has been edited by Dormilich: 14 May 2012 - 12:03 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Saucy!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 May 2012 - 03:52 AM

I've been using CakePHP for the last year. It's pretty well-regarded, but it's the only one I've used, so I've no basis for comparison.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Resident Curmudgeon

• View blog

Posted 25 May 2012 - 06:49 AM

The most proven track record? Sorry, but you're just out of luck here. There is no "one best framework" for PHP.

The PHP world is nothing like the Ruby and .NET worlds. In the Ruby world there's Rails; in the .NET world, there's Web Forms or ASP.NET MVC. But in the PHP world, there is no single "leading" framework. Instead, there are a boat-load of frameworks, at least half a dozen of which have enough longevity and traction to be considered "mature". They all have their ups and downs - there is no clear winner. Which one is "best" depends on a combination of personal taste and what kind of project you're doing. However, any of the more popular frameworks should be serviceable, so my recommendation would be to just try out several of them and go with the first one that appeals to you.

If it helps, 3 or 4 years ago the company I was working for at the time evaluated several frameworks for a new project. The short-list consisted of Symfony, Cake, ZEND, and CodeIgniter. Those all still seem to be popular, and since then Yii and Kohana have also come on my radar, so you could use that as a starting point. Mashable has a breakdown of the same list if you want more discussion of the individual frameworks. (Note: my company ended up choosing ZEND, but they went out of business before the project launched, so I can't vouch for how well it worked long-term.)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 September 2013 - 09:14 PM

I'm not sure about the track record of the following but I've used CodeIgniter, FuelPHP and Laravel. Laravel is by far the best I've used and can't see myself bothering to learn another one unless there's a really compelling reason. Laravel is simply incredible.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 February 2014 - 04:44 PM

After using codeigniter for the better part of my development life, I gave laravel a shot on a new project recently. My main worries were time to learn a new framework and also adjusting my workflow with the framework. After spending a working day going through their fantastically written documentation i just simply fell in love. Everything about this framework is simple yet powerful. From routing to great complex calculations, how powerful you want it is up to you. Its make a great use of the MVC structure and i just love the elegant syntax. I can go on and on about why this framework kept me from switching to node.js but use it and see for yourself
Maybe it just me wanting a change but laravel and i just got on like wet on water.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 May 2014 - 11:05 PM

I use codeigniter, zend and cakephp. Try these framework, they're widely use and well-documented.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1