6 Replies - 4827 Views - Last Post: 07 March 2013 - 08:20 AM

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Computer science and physics major

Posted 13 May 2012 - 05:42 PM

What are my options if I graduate with a double major in computer science and physics? I've become a lot more interested in computer science than I am in physics, so I wonder if I'll ever even use the latter. So how worthy is a physics degree in the field of CS?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Computer science and physics major

• The Ninjaducky
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Computer science and physics major

Posted 13 May 2012 - 06:26 PM

Honestly, you could do a lot of things with it. The field of scientific computing is HUGE. If you focus your CS on things like modeling, machine learning, and such things, then you can apply those CS methods to solving physical problems (such as modeling the universe). there used to be 3 types of Physicists - Theoretical, Experimental, and Applied. Now, there is a new(er) field call Computational Physics that is becoming very very necessary to answer questions of the really big and the really small.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 13 May 2012 - 07:55 PM

View PostDogstopper, on 13 May 2012 - 06:26 PM, said:

Honestly, you could do a lot of things with it. The field of scientific computing is HUGE. If you focus your CS on things like modeling, machine learning, and such things, then you can apply those CS methods to solving physical problems (such as modeling the universe). there used to be 3 types of Physicists - Theoretical, Experimental, and Applied. Now, there is a new(er) field call Computational Physics that is becoming very very necessary to answer questions of the really big and the really small.

I talked to a physics professors and I told him I am very interested in scientific modeling. I also thought of video game programming since it obviously involves both areas.

So if I want to work in the field of computational physics or something related, are there certain electives in CS that will be a waste of time for me? For example, I just finished taking internet programming and that was a mistake. Next semester I'm scheduled to take intro to networks. Should I skip that one then? I could take Parallel Algorithms and Architectures instead, whatever that's about.

This post has been edited by carnivroar: 13 May 2012 - 09:26 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Ninjaducky
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 May 2012 - 06:40 AM

I would focus on algorithms/theory, modeling, and machine learning. Machine learning?!You mean like Robots? Yes I do. Many Machine learning algorithms are being used on supercomputers to solve these complicated simulations.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 May 2012 - 07:52 AM

I graduated with a degree in Biomedical Physics and a minor in computer science. I now decided to continue to pursue a master's degree in computer science. I have been working in machine learning and image processing and I love it! But I also think having the physics in the mix has helped me immensely.

This post has been edited by SpartanGuy07: 14 May 2012 - 07:52 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 14 May 2012 - 05:28 PM

Sounds like I am on the right track then. I talked to one of my professors today about my interests and he said that parallel algorithms and networks go hand in hand, so I guess I will take both. He strongly urged me to.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:20 AM

I am actually facing a dilenma right now. I am doing Bsc Honours Physics and I was planning to take GeoPhysics electives. A thought crossed my mind and I applied to switch to Comp Science. Now the application is still being processed but I'm beginning to see it as a bad idea. I have heard it's easy to switch to CS coming from Physics. How true is that?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1