2 Replies - 341 Views - Last Post: 14 May 2012 - 02:06 PM

#1 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

weird sudo behavior

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:41 AM

This seems like it's at least weird behavior. If I authenticate for sudo, then log out of that tty session and log back in, I'm still authenticated.

I'd expect logging out to clear that authentication.
I don't really see any circumstance under which this would present a security issue, but it still seems a bit weird to me. Any thoughts?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: weird sudo behavior

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: weird sudo behavior

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:49 AM

Sudo does initiate a session kind of thingy. The first time you sudo, you get challenged. After that, you're fine for a bit until you get challenged again.

I know what you're thinking; that should only be valid within the process context that you fired sudo in. Yeah, well, it doesn't always seem to work that way. One Linux, Ubuntu I think, used to put up a little icon to show you that you're sudo was still open.

Anyway, it is standard behavior, AFAIK.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: weird sudo behavior

Posted 14 May 2012 - 02:06 PM

I know what you're thinking; that should only be valid within the process context that you fired sudo in. Yeah, well, it doesn't always seem to work that way.

Exactly that. Weird, like I say. Not a big deal - I wouldn't have noticed it all if I weren't logging in and out trying to track down some crap in samba.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1