• +
  • Last »

120 Replies - 4018 Views - Last Post: 10 June 2012 - 07:23 AM

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

75 Years in Prison For Videotaping Police

Posted 14 May 2012 - 03:11 PM

When technology is on the citizens side, rather than fight it, the state just makes it illegal.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: 75 Years in Prison For Videotaping Police

• spelling expret
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: 75 Years in Prison For Videotaping Police

Posted 14 May 2012 - 04:00 PM

Does this guy have a paypal donation system for lawyer fees? cuz I'd donate...this is total bullshit. this is the government becoming tyrannical. we're supposed to have a nation that protects us from this stuff.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Hash != Encryption
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 May 2012 - 04:15 PM

The police are the largest street gang in America.

Seriously, that's all they are. I'm not saying every police officer is an absolute scumbag, but there are plenty of them out there. And the fact that they are able to get away with their excessive use of force, to the point where the person providing the evidence is charged with 75 years of prison time is utterly absurd.

The worst part of it is, how can people stop it? Good job, the best way to provide evidence is now illegal in some states. Way to go. Now what? It's the public's word against the cops. And you know who's going to win in that battle.

This post has been edited by creativecoding: 14 May 2012 - 04:15 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• XNArchitect
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 May 2012 - 04:15 PM

Anyone else remember the days when a cop told you, not asked you, to sit down and shut up that you actually did? We were once respectful of the authority that police officers have. What happened that respect? Did a few episodes with a few bad cops here and there really make so many of us go out of our way to make police officers' days harder? There are far too many people who question the authority of police officers claiming that they know their rights, and they seem to think they know the law better than the police. What happens when this continues to get worse and worse and one day not a single citizen respects the authority of police officers? What happens when a day comes when there aren't enough people who want to deal with the entitled little shits who seem to think they're above the law just because they've watched a few episodes of Law & Order on tv and we don't have enough cops to do the jobs that these brave men and women have to do every day? What happens to society when we lose the peacekeepers and the criminals continue their actions uninhibited because being a cop is more hassle and less money than it's worth?
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 May 2012 - 05:31 PM

View PostKilorn, on 14 May 2012 - 07:15 PM, said:

Anyone else remember the days when a cop told you, not asked you, to sit down and shut up that you actually did?

I have always treated law enforcement with the utmost respect. In fact I donate to the Ohio Benevolent Police Association every year.

However, as seen in the example videos that I provided, just like with any job, there is room for human error. In the case where the police officer punched the woman in her face, I was totally on the side of the officer. & the video shows what I believe, the officer doing what was necessary to control the situation.

On the other side of things, in the one video where the officer shot a man in the back, who was already detained, is doing 2 years for murder. The man who video taped officers for (what he believed was) harassing his mother is a 75 year offense? Talk about a public example.

The problem is that there is little to no representation for victims of corrupt officers of the law. You put up with it, or you fight it & possibly get your name out there publicly to be the next target. In the event you have evidence that you or your case were wrongfully handled, you have immediate proof. That proof is now apparently illegal & carries a larger penalty than the crime.

Years ago in Hudson Ohio a police officer pulled a U turn with out his lights on, & put his cruiser in the ditch. A passer by stopped, took a photo & continued on his way. The officer called for backup to obtain the photo. The responding officer threatened, illegally, that he could make the guys life a living hell if he didn't give up the camera. The family sued for illegal search & seizure.

In a day & age of the level of big brother that we've accomplished, & sadly become custom too, it sickens me to see what punishment is dealt when the tides of evidence are turned.

@Kilorn, think of what you'll be doing for the next 75 years. Will you even make it that long? That's the amount of time this man is facing for punishment, of him trying to defend himself. For what? Cars? There isn't a word in the English dictionary to describe just how absurd this entire thing is. The man felt that he & his mother were being harassed, did something about it, & basically just threw is life away. Over nothing. Fuck, he probably could have shot one of the officers, & actually received less time.
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• spelling expret
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 May 2012 - 05:46 PM

how is video filming a cop a sign disrespect? especially if they're doing something wrong...

showing it to someone else is definitely an issue but if I see it, I have the right to record it. same goes for someone filming me. You can show it to someone else without my permission but if you can legally get to a spot where you can see me, you can video tape me. this doesn't even mean you have to be there you just have to be able to be there legally.

in the case where something is evidence then it SHOULD be shown in a court but only then. If you film a cop doing something wrong(as this guy seems to think, his original case seems fishy) then you when your court day comes present it as evidence. regardless of the legitimacy of his claim, he had every right to do that.

We were once respectful of the authority

actually are nation was born out of disrespect to authority as a result of a few tyrannical people in power pushing us around while we couldn't do anything about it. we created the government to stop just this kind of thing. so like...always if it still counts as disrespect in this case.

What happens when this continues to get worse and worse and one day not a single citizen respects the authority of police officers?

then the national guard would probably have to come in and if that didn't work the military would come and if that didn't work we would have successfully won a revolution.

This post has been edited by ishkabible: 14 May 2012 - 05:52 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Hash != Encryption
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 May 2012 - 05:50 PM

he probably could have shot one of the officers, & actually received less time.

I'm no expert in law but I'm pretty sure if he killed someone on the spot for harassing his mother, it'd be second degree murder. In Illinois that's 4 to 20 years.

20 years for murdering a cop. 75 years for recording him.

This post has been edited by creativecoding: 14 May 2012 - 05:52 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• spelling expret
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 May 2012 - 05:54 PM

it's first degree if you kill a cop so 25-life or death penalty in most states.

anytime you kill a government official it gets bumped up with the exception of pre-mediation in which case there is nothing to bump it up to(they might add a charge or something).

and I think 'life' as they call it is actually 40 years so it still not as bad. I would rather have the death penalty than 75 years in prison.

This post has been edited by ishkabible: 14 May 2012 - 05:59 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 May 2012 - 05:55 PM

The issue with the whole "yeah fuck the po-lice" mentality is that if I get killed during a confrontation, I can't really speak on my behalf later. I'll comply [short of jumping off a bridge or equivalent] and immediately call my lawyer, let them handle it. I don't have the time or patience for mindless bullshit any more.

I sincerely doubt he'll get charged. No jury in their right mind would convict.

View Postishkabible, on 14 May 2012 - 06:46 PM, said:

then the national guard would probably have to come in and if that didn't work the military would come and if that didn't work we would have successfully won a revolution.

The U.S. military is not allowed to act as a police force within the United States.

U.S. Code, Title 10, Chapter 18, Section 375
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 May 2012 - 05:59 PM

View PostKYA, on 14 May 2012 - 08:55 PM, said:

Just bringing it to the table is one step closer to general population acceptance.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• spelling expret
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 May 2012 - 06:01 PM

actually, there is another issue here too. you can't sue or press charges against a government official; it's up to the government to punish their officials. I'm not sure which court case established that however but it's been that way for a while. you can sue a law but not an official...I'm not sure about entities like agencies or police departments however, that could be different.

The U.S. military is not allowed to act as a police force within the United States.

well then, just the national guard I guess then.

This post has been edited by ishkabible: 14 May 2012 - 06:11 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Hash != Encryption
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 May 2012 - 06:08 PM

View Postishkabible, on 14 May 2012 - 05:54 PM, said:

it's first degree if you kill a cop so 25-life or death penalty in most states.

anytime you kill a government official it gets bumped up with the exception of pre-mediation in which case there is nothing to bump it up to(they might add a charge or something).

and I think 'life' as they call it is actually 40 years so it still not as bad. I would rather have the death penalty than 75 years in prison.

What makes the cop (or any other government official) so special to get a second-degree murder bumped up to a first?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• spelling expret
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 May 2012 - 06:13 PM

"government official" basically means anyone who makes law, interprets law, or enforces law, so everyone who has any control over law. I'm going to throw out a wild guess and say they made them selves special cuz they could.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• The Noid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 May 2012 - 07:16 PM

View PostKYA, on 14 May 2012 - 07:55 PM, said:

The issue with the whole "yeah fuck the po-lice" mentality is that if I get killed during a confrontation, I can't really speak on my behalf later. I'll comply [short of jumping off a bridge or equivalent] and immediately call my lawyer, let them handle it. I don't have the time or patience for mindless bullshit any more.

View Postishkabible, on 14 May 2012 - 06:46 PM, said:

U.S. Code, Title 10, Chapter 18, Section 375

There are certain circumstances in which the US Military will be called in to restore order. A revolution would certainly be one...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 May 2012 - 07:18 PM

That was the national guard, as already pointed out by ishkabible. Not the military.

View Postishkabible, on 14 May 2012 - 08:46 PM, said:

What happens when this continues to get worse and worse and one day not a single citizen respects the authority of police officers?

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (9 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »