1 Replies - 12411 Views - Last Post: 16 May 2007 - 04:58 AM Rate Topic: -----

• code.rascal
  • member icon

• View blog

PL/SQL insert blob via database link

Posted 11 May 2007 - 07:47 AM

Well it's pretty much in the title.
It is not possible to insert a blob from a local table into a remote one thorugh a dblink. Have you met this problem? And if yes, did you find any workaround?
I think that the data have to be parsed into varchar2 in 32k sizes, and assembled at the other end. I am just not exactly sure, how to do the join on the other side of the db link, but a stored procedure could take care of this problem.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: PL/SQL insert blob via database link

• code.rascal
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: PL/SQL insert blob via database link

Posted 16 May 2007 - 04:58 AM

Well, looks-like problem solved, so I think it is worth to share some thoughts.
Not being a PL/SQL person myself (yet?), it is sometimes hard to evaluate information found on forums. So in spite of common belief, it is possible in Oracle9 (didn't check other versions, but formerly some buffer limitation existed, but for later it should work). The catch is (if I understand it correctly) it is not possible for user defined objects, and it made some misunderstanding (and I was tricked by another bug in my test that I was told to work, but that's specific for my work environment...)
Bottomline: it is possible to insert and select blobs via dblinks as far as they are not part of a user defined object.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1