What are intro to networks for?

Posted 15 May 2012 - 07:41 PM

Hello,

Next semester I have to chose 2 from the following courses:

parallel algorithms (elective)
intro to networks (elective)
compiler construction (elective)
programming languages (required)

Since I've already "wasted" an elective with internet programming, I'm only interested in taking courses that pertain to my field of interest, which is computational physics. I think intro to networks will likely not be offered again in the next few years, so is it worth taking it while I can? I really have no idea what networks is about. One of my professors hinted that it has applications in businesses (not my interest) and another urged me to take it. On the other hand, should I take programming languages since it's required anyway and wait to "use" my elective another semester? I'm definitely going to take parallel algorithms.

This post has been edited by carnivroar: 15 May 2012 - 07:43 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: What are intro to networks for?

#2 tlhIn`toq  Icon User is online

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What are intro to networks for?

Posted 16 May 2012 - 07:40 AM

Considering how much high-end computation is done by distributed computing I think it can't hurt you.

Also, it might be a good idea to have some education in fields that have job potential other than your primary. Its good to put food on the table as a network engineer while you are trying to land a job in 'computational physics'. There's what you like, then there's what people will pay to you do.

If nothing else, being able to do your own networking at home is nice. Why pay someone to make your home a 'smart home' if you can do it yourself? IP security cams, every room PC and tablet linked back to the media server, your water heater as a network device so the home server can tell it to power down while nobody is home.....
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Re: What are intro to networks for?

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:56 PM

I decided to take a math course instead as instructed by my physics adviser. I've been avoiding math too much. I think I need a break from CS next semester so I can catch up on physics. So I'll only take parallel algorithms.

This post has been edited by carnivroar: 16 May 2012 - 05:21 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1