1 Replies - 6196 Views - Last Post: 18 May 2012 - 09:33 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Newbie Mobile Programming: iOS vs. Android

Posted 16 May 2012 - 03:05 PM

Hello everyone! I'm new to programming for mobile devices. Currently, I am learning iOS Application Programming. My instructor has stated that he has programmed in both iOS and Android, primarily iOS. He says that iOS programming is much easier than Android.

Eventually, I would like to learn both. Can someone with considerable experience in both tell me what the significant difference(s) are between developing in iOS and developing in Android. If you were developing the same app for both platforms, does one take longer to create?

Thanks in advance!

This post has been edited by Atli: 16 May 2012 - 03:37 PM
Reason for edit:: Please don't abuse the font size tags.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Newbie Mobile Programming: iOS vs. Android

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Newbie Mobile Programming: iOS vs. Android

Posted 18 May 2012 - 09:33 PM

From a developer's standpoint I don't think difficulty between the two should be a contributing factor because it really comes down to being familiar. Both iOS and Android development come with great documentation to get anyone started.

You should try to determine what your goal is. Then decide based on what will help you achieve that goal.

Personally, I am not really interested in mobile applications. I am more interested in mobile games. For that reason, I decided to use whatever made it possible to deploy to as many platforms as possible. I've only really used Java extensively in school and I haven't really messed around with Objective-C. I've used C++ to develop 2d video games for iOS and Android, and I intend to use Unity3D for any future 3D games.

I'm also considering Stencyl since it would allow Flash, iOS, Android, and eventually HTML5 support.

This might be abit off topic but I think it would help make my point. Recently I wanted to contribute to an open-source project: http://mapeditor.org

It used Qt. I followed the documentation to get started and the simplest way to get started involved using the Qt Creator IDE. I'm sure it would have been possible to use Visual Studio (my IDE of choice for Windows) but I was really just interested in implementing a requested feature ASAP.

Try not to feel too complacent because sometimes it will create barriers for you.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1