12 Replies - 4624 Views - Last Post: 17 May 2012 - 11:20 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

#1 google page rank on first day of launch

Posted 16 May 2012 - 11:36 PM

I launched my first website yesterday and before the day was up my site was in the lead position on the first page.
It's a rather unique niche but at first I couldn't even find my site listed, here's how I did it.
I clicked on my site (after an extensive search) about two hundred times, bingo, number one.
But I gotta admit, my site is the only one that the search and the domain name are the same, "psychiclotto" if I put a space in between the two words, I rank third spot. It's a new domain and new site and there is no other site like it and I hope that it grows in popularity and will remain number one for the duration.
Anyway, here's the site link, see what you think and how I might be able to generate some revenue with it. I'm open to suggestions. Thanks for looking.

http://www.psychiclotto.org/

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: #1 google page rank on first day of launch

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: #1 google page rank on first day of launch

Posted 17 May 2012 - 07:23 AM

You're site looks like a throw back to tripod or anglefire of the early 2000's... kudos if that's what you were going for. If not then you might want to jazz up the site to at least 'web 2.0' graphics..

Content wise.. yeah.. I am not sure about that. I mean the pseudo intimidation tactics regarding donating 20% to this site if you win or else the bad energy will getcha... or the line about "use your own psychic intuition to pick winning lottery numbers with this totally new concept". I am unclear how the connection between this site and other random number generators is washed. Is it the concept that you tell the big wheel of numbers to stop? I guess.. you also might want to remove out numbers already picked. I am not familiar with a lottery that allows a ticket of say all 5's.

Then the last bit - if you've been trying this since 1980, what exactly makes you a voice of authority on the subject? I mean usually these require some sort of "see it worked for me!" success story to accompany.

Good first shot.. but this needs to be refined.. badly.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#3 Curtis Rutland  Icon User is online

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 May 2012 - 07:26 AM

Well, aside from the premise of the site (I suppose I can bite my tongue on that one)...

Your web design is right out of the late 90s. And web fashions, unlike clothes fashions, don't come back into vogue as "retro". I mean, your page wouldn't have looked out of place on MySpace, and that's never been a compliment, even when MySpace was relevant. So...have fun with that.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 May 2012 - 08:05 AM

Good first shot.. but this needs to be refined.. badly.

It looks like it's already been refined quite badly. I'm not sure it could have been refined any worse, honestly.

This post has been edited by jon.kiparsky: 17 May 2012 - 08:05 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 May 2012 - 08:19 AM

I wasn't going for the pollished corporate look of the websites today but I will agree that it needs a little work. I just wanted to get it launched and then slowly morph into whatever it might become. As far as the number picker goes, I got burned out just making it and didn't want to invest any more time programming no-repeats into it (any suggestions would be appreciated)I just had a wicked time with javascript. The first thing I focused on was the number picker and the javascript mad me hate it, I can always go back and refine it now that it's on the internet. I appreciate your input, thanks. I knew I would hear about everything I thought was wrong with it myself and was expecting as much. I'll be working on it.

Oh yeah, I posted the site here because I was actually more excited about the page rank than anything else.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 May 2012 - 08:23 AM

You know how people say "fastest-growing company in its domain" when they really mean "smallest company in its domain"?

Same deal here. Top page rank for this search term in this case means "nobody's looking at this search term". Sorry. Good luck.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 May 2012 - 12:05 PM

Actually, my host provides stats that say otherwise. You'd be surprised at how many people look for psychic lottery numbers and the only other sites are random number generators. 60% of my meager 43 visits yesterday were from that very search term and 21 visits the first day. I'm going to stick with it but would definitely like to upgrade my number picker somehow. I was thinking today as I saw a roommate playing an online slot machine that maybe something of that order would be better.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 May 2012 - 12:09 PM

View Poststorkfmny, on 17 May 2012 - 02:05 PM, said:

I'm going to stick with it but would definitely like to upgrade my number picker somehow.

Maybe you should get a psychic involved.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 May 2012 - 02:44 PM

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 17 May 2012 - 12:09 PM, said:

View Poststorkfmny, on 17 May 2012 - 02:05 PM, said:

I'm going to stick with it but would definitely like to upgrade my number picker somehow.

Maybe you should get a psychic involved.

Great Idea!!! I'm on it like salt on a wisecracker.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• "Hurry up and wait"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 May 2012 - 02:57 PM

You do know that your details are publicly viewable in your domain records right? It is not expensive to make them private, IMO you should do that.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 May 2012 - 05:33 PM

View PostGunnerInc, on 17 May 2012 - 02:57 PM, said:

You do know that your details are publicly viewable in your domain records right? It is not expensive to make them private, IMO you should do that.

I know and don't like it much and will change that as soon as I can.
I got a broken back and broken hip with an implant that wasn't installed properly and barely surviving on disability but when I've got a couple more bucks, I'll be doing that. Thanks for the heads up though!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• HAL9000 was an Apple product
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 May 2012 - 11:07 PM

I've played around with the number picker a bit and the only thing that annoys me a tiny bit is that it reloads the page to reset.

Rather than have the reset button reload the page, which is pretty slow, you could just have it call a Javascript function, like your other two buttons. Then, in that function, you could reset all your variables to the values they would have if the page had been reloaded, i.e. nothing (don't forget the text field values). It would be much quicker, I believe.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 May 2012 - 11:20 PM

I had a heck of a time with it. I couldn't get it to work like that. The textboxes would clear without the page reload but then when I entered another number, the function to start the timer wouldn't work. Not only that but the rest button worked in Chrome, IE9 and firefox when I ran it locally but when I uploaded it to the host the button quit working in firefox.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1