Which should I learn: C, C++, or C#?

• (2 Pages)
  • +

22 Replies - 48422 Views - Last Post: 14 December 2012 - 02:47 AM

• spelling expret
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Which should I learn: C, C++, or C#?

Posted 26 May 2012 - 01:40 PM

The C++ Programming Language: Special Edition

yes, it's the most modern comprehensive reference on the C++ standard and goes over a bunch of dos and don'ts. If you're already comfortable with programing in general I would just go straight to that; if not then I would start with "programing: principals and techniques using C++" which is written by Bjarne too and teaches programing using C++ rather than teaching the C++ language.

if you want something in between learning to programing and learning C++ then another book I've heard good things about is "accelerated C++". "thinking in C++" looks good as well, but it's free(as in beer)!! so I would probably pick that up instead :P

This post has been edited by ishkabible: 26 May 2012 - 02:04 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 May 2012 - 12:16 PM

View Postishkabible, on 26 May 2012 - 01:40 PM, said:

The C++ Programming Language: Special Edition

yes, it's the most modern comprehensive reference on the C++ standard and goes over a bunch of dos and don'ts. If you're already comfortable with programing in general I would just go straight to that; if not then I would start with "programing: principals and techniques using C++" which is written by Bjarne too and teaches programing using C++ rather than teaching the C++ language.

if you want something in between learning to programing and learning C++ then another book I've heard good things about is "accelerated C++". "thinking in C++" looks good as well, but it's free(as in beer)!! so I would probably pick that up instead :P

My advanced C++ course that just finished up used Thinking in C++ pt 1 and 2, I would highly recommend it. Both because it is thorough, and also because it is free :D. Since, its free I attached the pdf version of pt 2 for you. On his website he distributes it as a set of html files, which I didn't like.

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by raspinudo: 27 May 2012 - 12:18 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 June 2012 - 04:41 PM

As you have suspected, C# will not be suitable.
I heard endlessly the sentence "C# is Microsoft's solution to Java".

If we're talking about hierarchy and history:
C was the origin of C++, which was the origin for Java, which was the origin of C# along with Delphi, and Visual Basic.

So as you can see, C# isn't going lower, but higher.
Now, I used to program at C# and extremely love it (and I still do).
I thought about seeing how C++ is but as a C# programmer that uses Visual Studio, I suddenly didn't have documentations in my IntelliSense and I really didn't like it so I eventually left it.
Later a few months I gave it another try, and was more into it, so I started learning from scratch as if I didn't know programming and then compared this new knowledge with my C# knowledge and I have to say that I currently don't use C#, even that where I live that's the language that runs the market.
The reason is that I suddenly had all of that power that C# didn't offer me, because it restricted me to use the .NET framework (sure you could call system calls with P/Invoke, but it's just not the same).

To end this story, I think you should give it a try. it's very enjoyable and you know things about how your computer works much better.

I recommend you not to make the mistakes I have (that made me run off a couple of times) I advise you to get Bjarne Stroustrup's (the creator of C++) book "Programming Principles and Practices using C++". that will cover the basic and one of the best books I know. then you should get Petzold's book "Programming Windows", which again is an extremely good book. and although it's very old (around 10-15 years) it's still valid and just an awesome and amazing book).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 June 2012 - 08:31 PM

http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/
Its how I learned, and most importantly, all of the information is useful.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:04 PM

Learn Ruby on Rails its being taught on edx.org and is very powerful
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:12 PM

View PostWh1t3gh0st, on 31 October 2012 - 01:04 AM, said:

Learn Ruby on Rails its being taught on edx.org and is very powerful

Ruby on Rails is a framework for web development and not a language. Ruby is a language which Rails was built on top of.

This post has been edited by vividexstance: 07 November 2012 - 01:12 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:41 PM

Personally, I use c++ because it is easier to implement, code and debug than c or c#. It is a more abstract, object oriented language, but of course, depending on exactly how much machine control you need, c may be a better option. If all you need is simple calculations and displays, c++. If you need to actually alter the machine's functions or settings, c would be the best choice.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:47 AM

View Postantolyevich, on 13 December 2012 - 11:41 PM, said:

Personally, I use c++ because it is easier to implement, code and debug than c or c#. It is a more abstract, object oriented language,

I realize that ease of coding and debugging is highly subjective (though I would have though that most people would find C# easier to debug than C++ given the tool support), but in what way is C++ more abstract or more object oriented than C#? That seems like a pretty bold statement to make - especially without giving any arguments to support it.

If all you need is simple calculations and displays, c++. If you need to actually alter the machine's functions or settings, c would be the best choice.

Why? And what exactly does "alter the machine's functions or settings" mean?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +