13 Replies - 2643 Views - Last Post: 18 May 2012 - 08:02 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

P2P Messaging and File Transfer System

Posted 17 May 2012 - 12:41 PM

HI There,

I am totally new to software development and I have been given the chance of a lifetime! I have been given a job as Junior developer but now I need to lear c# and fast!

I have several books Wrox beginning c# and professional c# which i have been reading for the last couple of week but it doesn't seem to be sinking in!

I have now been given a project and two week to complete it... problem is through all the panic I have no idea where to start.. any pointers you guys can give would be greatly appreciated!

The project is to create a peer -server - peer messaging and file transfer system. I have to create a database and connect to this using ADO, the GUI needs to display the users that are currently connected... if you click on a connected user any conversations or messages they have posted are displayed along with when they were posted.

PLEASE help

Thanks
TOny

This post has been edited by macosxnerd101: 17 May 2012 - 12:45 PM
Reason for edit:: Please use a descriptive title

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: P2P Messaging and File Transfer System

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: P2P Messaging and File Transfer System

Posted 17 May 2012 - 12:46 PM

Okay let's take a step back. How much comp sci background do you have? Have you ever wrote a program, or is this career something that just popped up?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 May 2012 - 12:47 PM

We have a C# Learning Series and Tutorials Section you are welcome to take advantage of. SixOfEleven has a P2P Chat Tutorial.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 May 2012 - 12:50 PM

I have no programming background at all. The nearest I got was a Open University coure Designing applications with Visual Basic. But that wat 2 year ago and only just scraped through!

I will take a look through the tutorials thanks.

From your experience... what is a realistic timescaple to become proficient at coding?.. I know it is a 'How long is a piece of string ' statement but I would be interested to know your thoughts
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 May 2012 - 12:54 PM

It took me a few months before I was comfortable writing programs of about 250 lines of code by myself. It took me a year or two before I really took off with it. This isn't something you will pick up overnight, and a P2P chat application is not a simple task, especially if you have minimal programming experience.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 May 2012 - 01:05 PM

Honestly - for a project that size maybe.. MAYBE.. four or five months of EVERY DAY working at it.. and that's assuming things mostly click right away.. if not then it's pushing a year or so.

If you don't mind me asking - how did you get a gig as a junior developer if you have zero programming background? I mean I understand just-out-of-college-and-I-know-a-different-language-than-c# and you get a junior C# position, but this seems a bit... odd. Especially the project would be quite a bit for a green horn. What sort of bill of goods did you sell them?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Noid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 May 2012 - 01:20 PM

EDIT: Beating a dead horse, I waited to submit this and plenty of replies showed up.

This post has been edited by h4nnib4l: 17 May 2012 - 01:22 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 May 2012 - 01:48 PM

This is a company I have worked at for 11 years.. they needed someone to train up and help the existing developer... I have always helped out it IT with hardware issues and I got the company to pay for the Open University course...

The existing developer has set me this project to fill my time while he is on holiday... he has told me something like this would take him 3 - 4 hours!

The pointers he gave me are ... create the database first.then the windows service (or win form app) to facilitate the message / file pass through from peer to peer... storing all the details in the database.. Use ADO.Net for the database.. The server needs to listen on port (always open)
Finally I need to creat a win form app that connects to the server using TCPIP when the application runs...

Argghhhh lol
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 May 2012 - 01:51 PM

Well..ah.. good luck?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 May 2012 - 01:59 PM

Thanks for that... I will be back... many many times :o) even if it is just to bounce around ideas!!

Tony
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 May 2012 - 04:38 PM

View Posttonylees, on 17 May 2012 - 01:41 PM, said:

I am totally new to software development

The project is to create a peer -server - peer messaging and file transfer system. I have to create a database and connect to this using ADO, the GUI needs to display the users that are currently connected... if you click on a connected user any conversations or messages they have posted are displayed along with when they were posted.

View Posttonylees, on 17 May 2012 - 01:50 PM, said:

I have no programming background at all.

Dude... You're fraked.

There are three routes people seem to take when learning programming.
  • Just start trying to create programs
  • Start taking apart other programs and try to figure out the language by reverse engineering
  • Follow a guided learning course (school or self-teaching books)

For the life of me I can't figure out why people try 1 & 2.
Sure, 35 years ago the only way I could learn BASIC as a kid was to type programs from a book into a TRS-80 model 1 or Commodore VIC-20, then figure out the commands and syntax by watching the results as the program ran. There simply wasn't any courses for a kid back then.

But now, you can't help but to trip over "Learn {coding language} in 3 weeks" type books and the entire internet is at your disposal for tutorials.

I strongly suggest taking the guided learning approach. Those book authors go in a certain order for a reason: They know what they're doing and they know the best order to learn the materials.

Where do I start?

You start by learning a coding language FIRST.
Learn to plan before you type.
THEN you start designing software with a purpose.

If this sounds like you

Newbie/Rookie said:

I have a little programming experience but I need to write ...
read this section
Spoiler

Otherwise, you can just jump to the resources here:
Some of the tutorials below are for C# or Java not C, C++, VB.NET [...]. But the conceptual stuff of classes, object oriented design, events etc. are not language specific and should give you enough guidance in theory of program development for you to be able to look-up specific code example in your chosen coding language.

Resources, references and suggestions for new programmers. - Updated Mar 2012
Spoiler

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 May 2012 - 11:20 PM

That is great advice, THANK YOU!

I feell a lot better about htings now.. I have only been learning this stuff for nearly 3 week and the developer I work for seems a littl unrealistic in his targets for a complete noob!

I will keep ploughing through the books and the online tutorials you have provided

Thanks again guys

Tony
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Noid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 May 2012 - 05:19 AM

The story makes a little more sense with some context (imagine that). As long as you're putting in the time and making effort of your own, we're all more than willing to help. We're all a little wary of people who are "brand new" and working on projects, because those conversations tend to turn into "gimme teh codez" pretty quickly. But if you can't figure out why your code isn't working or you can't wrap your brain around a concept, and you show that you've done due diligence, by all means ask and somebody will help.

Good luck man.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 May 2012 - 08:02 AM

I understand you guys being wary.. it is tempting to just ask for code but obviously that won't teach me the language... having a project like this no matter how unrealistic will get me thinking about the solution and hopefully I will write some code that works... if not thats when I will come for pointers!

Cheers
Tony
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1