7 Replies - 1611 Views - Last Post: 23 May 2012 - 10:52 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

My first site, feedback appreciated!

Posted 17 May 2012 - 02:49 PM

Hello,

I've recently got my first site up to a standard with which I am happy to share it and I would be very grateful if I could get some feedback on it. The site in question is: http://www.dylco.co.uk/

As I mentioned this is my first site I've got up online and everything is self-taught, where I've mainly just been teaching myself what I need to know as I go along, so I suspect I may have picked up a few bad habits.

The purpose of the site is to act as a personal site for myself, with a blog and such, as well as a 'central hub' of sorts, where users of future sites I have planned can view their account details for the various sites in one place.

I developed the site primarily in Google Chrome and so that is what the site looks the best in, in my opinion. I have only tested the site in the recent versions of browsers, and so I'm positive that they will display oddly in older browsers but as of now it's not something I'm looking to remedy. I am also aware that some of the sites pages don't validate as correct HTML but I'm not worried about that for the time being.

I created a dummy account so that you can check out the site when logged in, however there isn't very much to it at the moment. The details of the dummy account are:

Email: test@test.com
Password: qwerty

Thanks for your time, suggestions and criticisms are welcome.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: My first site, feedback appreciated!

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: My first site, feedback appreciated!

Posted 23 May 2012 - 05:11 AM

Anyone?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 May 2012 - 07:22 AM

"WELCOME TO MY NEW WEBSITE!" - that text is in an odd font.

"GANGSTER WARFARE (GANGSTERWARFARE.COM) - STATUS: ONGOING" - wall of text.. try breaking that up into named and meaningful sections.

I am not a fan of the solid black line borders. It seems a bit on the old school side... there are more 'post web 2.0'ish themes.

I am not a fan of the colors. Too muted. Throw some lighter tones in there. More cheerful!

Not much on the use of images are ya?

The writing is awkward and stunted. Example:

"To keep up to date with the stuff I'm up to check back regularly! If you want to be the first to find out stuff relating to me and Dylco, subscribe to me on Facebook by clicking the button just below, like the Dylco Facebook page which you do via the 'Like Box' in the right column and follow me on Twitter which can also be done in right column by using the Twitter widget to navigate to my Twitter page."

You are using an external stylesheet - why does your html still have inline styling going on? Put all that css in one spot!
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 May 2012 - 08:03 AM

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated. I probably should have mentioned that I don't consider myself a good designer which is why the design is severely lacking. But I will make some changes according to the feedback you've given and then post in here when they're uploaded. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 May 2012 - 08:09 AM

I probably should have mentioned that I don't consider myself a good designer which is why the design is severely lacking.

.... then why not just go find a drupal or wordpress theme to be done with it and move on to that game thing you are making?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:50 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 23 May 2012 - 04:09 PM, said:

.... then why not just go find a drupal or wordpress theme to be done with it and move on to that game thing you are making?

I'm presuming you need Drupal or WordPress installed to use a theme relating to them? If so the main reason I didn't use one of those is because I didn't know how easy it would be to incorporate my own coding on top of them and add my own functionality and I kinda figured it'd be easier to just do it all from scratch, but in all honesty I didn't really look into it.

I've never used something like Drupal or WordPress so I don't really know how they work. Is it easy enough to add your own coding to them? If so I'll look into it.

Also I'm pretty new to this coding business, so sorry if some of my questions seem stupid.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 May 2012 - 10:46 AM

I'm presuming you need Drupal or WordPress installed to use a theme relating to them? If so the main reason I didn't use one of those is because I didn't know how easy it would be to incorporate my own coding on top of them and add my own functionality and I kinda figured it'd be easier to just do it all from scratch, but in all honesty I didn't really look into it.

Well go get LAMP, XAMP, WAMP or what ever your OS of choice supports... install that.. install drupal or wordpress and play around.

I've never used something like Drupal or WordPress so I don't really know how they work. Is it easy enough to add your own coding to them? If so I'll look into it.

Relatively speaking..
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 May 2012 - 10:52 AM

Ok, I'll have a look and see what I can come up with.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1