10 Replies - 863 Views - Last Post: 24 May 2012 - 01:50 PM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

which php to download

Posted 18 May 2012 - 01:31 AM

I want to start working with php and apache to develop web applications but when i went to this site PHP For windows I did not know what to download and then I went to this site php news archive there was more options and I didnt know what to choose so my question is which download must I take I am using windows XP Black

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: which php to download

• Saucy!
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: which php to download

Posted 18 May 2012 - 02:12 AM

If you are new to PHP and Apache, then I would suggest using one of the pre-packaged collections of web servers/PHP/databases like WAMPserver or XAMPP.

Also, did you notice on that PHP For Windows page the section in the sidebar entitled "Which version do I choose?"
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• = -1
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 May 2012 - 02:47 AM

I found WAMPserver to be one of the most painful installations I've ever done. I have tried both WAMPserver and EasyPHP, and I would recommend EasyPHP easily over WAMPserver. The setup is extremely easy, and upgrading any component (PHP, MySQL, Apache) is a pinch. They also support modules (such as Wordpress, Joomla, Drupal), and are soon going to support PostgreSQL and Mongo as components.

Aside from the difficulty I had installing WAMPserver, the support for upgrading components via their interface/admin/task manager icon is terrible. I couldn't find versions of anything released in the last 5 years or so, so I had to go direct to the PHP/MySQL websites. Then I had to download new versions of PHP and MySQL, and hack them in as best I could. I spent about 3 hours doing this, got nowhere, tossed it aside, downloaded EasyPHP, and 1 hour later I had a fully functioning server.

I can't speak for XAMPP. It's popular, so it's probably worth checking out.

If there's one word of advice I can give, make sure your development (Windows) environment matches your live (hosted) environment in all versions of software. Apache is not so important, but definitely make sure your PHP versions match, otherwise you might end up using functions that are in one version and not the other. Keeping MySQL up-to-date is a good idea too, and I would encourage (for your Windows environment) updating your MySQL to a very recent version, even beyond what your hosted server has, as there is a fix in MySQL for Windows to cater for case sensitivity properly. If you don't use a recent version, you'll have problems when IMPORTing/EXPORTing, as there are some bugs around case sensitivity rules not being adhered to, especially in regards to FK constraint references and names.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Saucy!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 May 2012 - 03:21 AM

Heh, it's been a while, but I remember finding WAMP much easier than XAMPP. :) Different strokes for different folks. Never tried EasyPHP. I use MAMP on my personal MacBook Pro, but setup Apache et. al. by hand on my Linux boxes.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Hash != Encryption
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 May 2012 - 09:09 AM

WAMP had a little trouble with my setup when I first started, but after much troubleshooting I was able to make it work. Has some great features which is why I prefer it over XAMPP.

XAMPP is great though. I used that first for a long time and if I had to suggest one or the other to someone new, I would suggest XAMPP.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 May 2012 - 11:45 PM

I am strongly considering downloading easy php because it seems easy to install will try more options later on
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 May 2012 - 05:21 AM

Okay so now I've downloaded the easyphp and i've installed it but now can someone help me on how to get started I would want to access and use the IDE but no tutorial or website seems to answer my question.How can I get to the IDE and do some programming? I tried clicking and double clicking on the php in the start menu but nothing comes up . is there something else I need

Attached image(s)

• Attached Image
  • Attached Image
  • Attached Image

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Saucy!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 May 2012 - 06:26 AM

A forum is not intended to be used to hold your hand through every step of the process! Read the documentation! I don't even know that there IS an included IDE.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 May 2012 - 07:21 AM

Okay so I probably didnt do a thorough research so now I am looking at which text editor to use any recommendations
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#10 CTphpnwb  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 May 2012 - 12:32 PM

http://www.dreaminco...est-of-php-ide/
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• = -1
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 May 2012 - 01:50 PM

There's no IDE shipped with EasyPHP. In fact, I'm not sure there is an IDE shipped with any *AMP installation (though I could be wrong). EasyPHP consists of Apache, PHP, and MySQL. It is a server, not a development environment.

While you are shopping for an IDE, you might want to look at some form of source control as well. I use Slik Subversion with Tortoise SVN as a frontend, and would highly recommend them.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1