2 Replies - 1351 Views - Last Post: 25 May 2012 - 03:31 PM

• = -1
  • member icon

• View blog

What devices give dual monitor output for Compaq 8510w?

Posted 21 May 2012 - 04:33 AM

I've got a HP Compaq 8510w, and currently I keep it closed on my desk, but have a 23" monitor hooked up to the back (along with peripherals, KB, mouse, printer, external drives etc). I've just gotten another monitor as a hand-me-down, and I want to hook it up so that I'm running dual monitors, but there's only one video output at the back.

Is this possible, given that I only have the one output? I'd consider buying a docking station, but is this going to give me true dual monitor output, or will "full-screening" an application cause it to take up the space of both screens?

I've also read about a kind of "splitter" for video output, but I think these simply treat the two monitors as one big wide monitor (with the full-screening issue I mentioned before).

This post has been edited by e_i_pi: 21 May 2012 - 04:35 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: What devices give dual monitor output for Compaq 8510w?

#2 DarenR  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Re: What devices give dual monitor output for Compaq 8510w?

Posted 21 May 2012 - 05:42 AM

we use the splitter here at work for someo f the older computers and it does not treat the two monitors as 1. you have to set the vid card to auto detect monitor 2
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Re: What devices give dual monitor output for Compaq 8510w?

Posted 25 May 2012 - 03:31 PM

I think it will depend on the type of slitter that you get. Most of the splitters that I've just stretch one video image over the space of two monitors.

far as I know, You have to have Two video cards to get true dual monitors.

View PostDarenR, on 21 May 2012 - 06:42 AM, said:

we use the splitter here at work for someo f the older computers and it does not treat the two monitors as 1. you have to set the vid card to auto detect monitor 2

What brand and Model number video splitter do you use?
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1