7 Replies - 11583 Views - Last Post: 13 October 2014 - 06:22 PM

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Trying to learn wordpress from a developers POV

Posted 21 May 2012 - 02:41 PM

I've developed many websites using raw HTML, CSS, PHP, and Javascript, but now I have to use WordPress to implement an image uploader for an image gallery. I'm lost to say the least. Do I actually write code to develop with WordPress or just install a plugin and build it through their interface? Can I actually write my own scripts for the site? I'm currently pulling the site files via FTP to my LAMP directory (which is taking much longer than I'd like to admit) so I can start working on it but I don't even know where to start learning how WordPress works.

I read over a few posts on the WordPress site but didn't really find anything that I thought was useful; maybe I'm just looking at it wrong. When someone first explained what WordPress was to me they made it sound like an API to develop blogs, from what I see now though it looks like it's just a more refined version of geocities. Is this perception of WordPress wrong?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Trying to learn wordpress from a developers POV

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Trying to learn wordpress from a developers POV

Posted 21 May 2012 - 02:49 PM

WordPress is a content management system which relies heavily on themes and plugins. Most, non technical, people are happy with just pointing, clicking, and doing basic rearrangement with in the interface.. no need to worry about messy code or what not. So yes, in that sense I think I am catching on what you mean by "like geocities".

In all honest a wordpress page is just a specific number of 'areas' and the theme just makes them look pretty in different ways... you write your CSS and modified php code to direct how you want those core areas to look.

http://webstutorial....heme-layout.png

The other side of the coin is the person that creates the themes or creates the plugins. A power developer with some PHP, javascript, etc background. If you think your plugin is going to require custom code to work then by all means - go make it!

http://net.tutsplus....rdpress-plugin/
http://corpocrat.com...rdpress-plugin/
http://www.wpbeginne...rdpress-plugin/
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 May 2012 - 03:11 PM

Okay, I see, that makes sense. So I don't have to use the WordPress UI at all if I don't want to? Making a plugin sounds much more appealing to me, I'll read over the links you provided. Thanks for the reply, it helped a great deal. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 May 2012 - 05:24 PM

No.. you would want to use the word press ui for most of it.. I mean that's why it is there.. to provide a skeleton framework for you to slap muscle and skin tissue to.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:27 PM

Sorry, what I meant was during the process of actually developing the plugin I won't really have to use the UI, just for testing purposes and the like. I read over the links you provided and this all seems simple enough. Thanks again for the help.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 May 2012 - 10:27 AM

WordPress is just a PHP app. The IDE is TextWranger, NotePad, or whatever. You develop completely separate from the WordPress UI with whatever tools you are used to.

That being said, don't forget that there are skillions of image gallery plugins ready for you at http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 October 2014 - 01:16 AM

Iím a beginner web developer and Iím looking for place where you can find free template. Can you give me some recommendations? My close friend gave me an advice, that I should check Gavick offer. Have anybody heard of it?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Major DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 October 2014 - 06:22 PM

Templates for what? WordPress? You can add themes and plugins from the dashboard.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1