6 Replies - 8061 Views - Last Post: 29 May 2012 - 02:47 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

What is the best database to use with a vb.net app?

Posted 21 May 2012 - 08:21 PM

I have an access dbase that it getting old and tired. I was asked to rewrite the dbase in a windows application, and not only for my enjoyment but to give the user something to look at instead of a bland form. Anyway, I have installed so much crap on my computer about SQL, I know nothing of SQL i'm used to writing apps that deal with databases from access. I could learn SQL and am willing to do so, but I'm so confused on how to make it work.
Now, I have about 3-5 users that would probably use my app on a daily basis and I think I would need to have the dbase file located on our server. How would I use this to my advantage?
I think I have blown up Googles servers trying to find a solution but to no avail. It just doesn't make any sense or I'm looking right at the answer and don't know it. Any help would be great. Thank you. If I have left out any info I'm sorry.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: What is the best database to use with a vb.net app?

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What is the best database to use with a vb.net app?

Posted 21 May 2012 - 10:15 PM

The best database to use with VB.NET is typically Microsoft SQL server. Being that you have also worked with Access you will find it easy to import your Access database right into SQL server and operate within a pure windows tool. .NET was designed to work seemlessly with SQL Server.

You can try out SQL server using its Express edition. You just have to remember that unlike access which is a file based database, SQL Server (like most databases) is a running service on a machine. You typically install SQL server on a database computer and you can write applications that other computers use to access it.

For development you can install SQL server on the same machine you have visual studio and interact with it locally.

If you need help learning SQL, you can start with sites like SQL Tutorial for Beginners.

Hope this answered your question. :)

This post has been edited by Martyr2: 21 May 2012 - 10:16 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 May 2012 - 07:41 PM

Sorry for the late reply back, I will look at what you have and hopefully I will gain understanding at whats in store.
Thanks
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 AdamSpeight2008  Icon User is online

• MrCupOfT
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 May 2012 - 02:34 PM

There also SQL Server Compact.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 May 2012 - 08:23 PM

After all of your help I was able to get sql running and my program built. Thank you.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 May 2012 - 02:21 AM

I prefer MS-Access for database in vb.net. I used it from many years and did not face any major problems. So, I would suggest you to obtain MS-Access for view files, define tables, etc. Even you can access all the tables with your programs.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 May 2012 - 02:47 AM

@annaharris. MS-Access is not a good solution compared to SQL Server, or even SQL Server Compact or SQLite. Microsoft's own docs refer to it scaling poorly, being prone to data corruption and being unlikely to perform well with multiple users.

If you can avoid it, I would advice you to do so. Especially seeing as it's the only one of the four I mentioned that isn't free to use.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1