• (3 Pages)
  • +

41 Replies - 3496 Views - Last Post: 24 May 2012 - 11:23 AM

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

I'm usually not a first adopter but this seems pretty awesome

Posted 22 May 2012 - 07:11 AM

I'm normally not the guy that goes out and gets the latest and greatest new wunder gadget...but this Leap Motion gizmo seems pretty damn awesome. Their site says it'll sell for around $70 too.

Anyone wanna be the first on yer block to live the Tom Cruise, Minority Report experience? Considering that movie was 10 years ago...that's some nifty precog.

This post has been edited by Craig328: 22 May 2012 - 07:13 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 2
  • +

Replies To: I'm usually not a first adopter but this seems pretty awesome

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: I'm usually not a first adopter but this seems pretty awesome

Posted 22 May 2012 - 07:18 AM

I get called a grumpy old man every time I say this kind of stuff... but, here it goes.

I prefer my user-interfaces to be tactile. For them to push back at me. This is why I don't like touch-screens, the screen doesn't let my fingers know what's going on... it's all just one big smooth surface. This is exceptionally annoying for keyboards, I never know where my fingers are on the thing. And personally I do NOT consider it intuitive design, and instead more like a flashy design.

This here removes even that surface. Now there's NOTHING.

When I write I know the surface I'm writing on is going to have resistance with my pen or pencil... my entire writing style and gestures use this. I've written on paper held in my hand in the air (no hard surface for resistance), and my penmanship drops horribly and it's SUPER uncomfortable for my hand.

Nor do I have any rhythm or flow. I can't dance, I can't do shit like that... my coordination is retarded in that respect (unless I have like 10 vodka cranberries in me... or 2 martinis). Mid air hand gestures... arggghhhhhh. Example, I used to tutor and the sort, or even when I was in school and the teacher would send you up to the front of class to explain something. I LOVED the long pointer stick, but then 'laser pointers' came out and everyone transitioned to them... drove me mad, with the stick just a single whip of the stick I'd land right on where I wanted to be pointing. With the laser pointer, and the lack of resistance in it, whip... errr... that's it... wiggle wiggle wiggle... ermmm... you know what I mean class, that general area where the red dot with parkinsons resides.

Not. For. Me.

This post has been edited by lordofduct: 22 May 2012 - 07:23 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Saucy!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 May 2012 - 07:25 AM

lordofduct, want to borrow the onion from my belt? I have an extra :)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 May 2012 - 07:27 AM

I love onions, used to eat them like apples as a kid.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 May 2012 - 07:27 AM

Well, I don't know that it'd be terribly useful as an input device to replace something like typing, for instance. It'd be good for kids though, public kiosks, gaming, video editing, precog criminal hunting, etc. However, after I watched that video another time, I can see an entirely plausible application, albeit perhaps a little down the road.

Take yer basic Kinect (that can see you and discern your movements). Enhance it with this Leap gimmick that seems to be more sensitive, smaller and wireless. Consider if you had three of them: one in front of you, one to the side and one above you to detect motion in all three planes. Mate that precise 3D movement detection to the Kinect "sight"...and then find the equipment that projected that Tupac hologram at Coachella a few weeks back...and you start getting pretty close to this:

Posted Image

Anyway, interesting gizmo that seems like it'd be a good substitute for a mouse for a lot of applications.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 May 2012 - 07:32 AM

lol... of course that's what you see.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 May 2012 - 07:37 AM

All the tech to do so appears to exist and is getting smaller and more affordable.

But like all new tech, the first adopters would undoubtedly be the pr0n industry.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 May 2012 - 07:37 AM

View Postlordofduct, on 22 May 2012 - 09:18 AM, said:

I get called a grumpy old man every time I say this kind of stuff... but, here it goes.
[SNIP]

Yeah, what he said.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 May 2012 - 07:43 AM

Chances are, I'm older than both of you.

/bought my belt onion for 5 bees...which was the way we did things at the time
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 May 2012 - 07:50 AM

5 bees? In my day we'd get a bushel of belt onions for 5 bees!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 May 2012 - 07:53 AM

The cheap, inferior, flood-the-onion-market onions from Mexico?

Yeah, I remember the Great Onion Flood of '04. This was before that. We're talking quality Amurkan onions. Just look for the union label.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• go sabres

• View blog

Posted 22 May 2012 - 08:00 AM

i think that this could be really cool. I don't see it being used to replace the mouse or even to be used for a long period of time. But this technology being in such a small package and being that much more accurate than kinect could end up being pretty awesome. I think its strength would be in some sort of short gesture control like just walking into a room and flipping your hand up towards the light you want to turn on from across the room or something like that. I would def consider getting this but id like to see how the development tools are first and probably just wait to see what people think about it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#13 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 May 2012 - 08:01 AM

Bees? When I was a boy, there was a man who'd seen a bee once. We all looked up to him and spoke to him with great respect. Only the lairds could use bees for trade, though. We'd barter beets for belt onions.

And now we live in the modern era. I stopped at the physicist's market the other day and got an anion for my belt, and for only three buckyballs. Wonderful times we live in!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 May 2012 - 08:08 AM

Well, the piece that got my attention in the video was the precision that it mimicked the guy when he stuck both his hands into the detector range and waggled his fingers. That seemed a lot more sensitive than a Kinect. If it is and you can figure out how to grab 3D spatial coords and mate that to a HD camera and record it all...you can have hologram comms.

Skip video phones altogether. Go straight to 3D real time virtual reality comms.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#15 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 May 2012 - 08:13 AM

LOD - so what, all you need are a set of haptic gloves or some sort of fingertip feed back?

Spoiler

As an aside - geeze old man.. get out of the way of the future! I am hoping mankind progresses far enough where I can have giant robots fight out against the last human.. all the while having zero contact with anyone but through my 'video game' but then a intrepid crew of seamen, and sea-women, come through a time rift to teach me (and the last human female) about human contact, love, and putting down the video game controller long enough to save humans from extinction. You know.. in the carnal way.

I call this scenario, "Playtime", and it rocks because I would get to meet the crew that are the guardians of the last unexplored region on Earth - the oceans (because beneath the waves is the future)... that and Brandis and Bridges would be still alive. *sniff*

If you are counting, yes that is a Johnny Mnemonic and Seaquest reference in the same post.

Edit: 3d displays you say? Billy Gates has been working on that.

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +