Gfx card overheating

• (2 Pages)
  • +

18 Replies - 4256 Views - Last Post: 22 May 2012 - 06:05 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Gfx card overheating

Posted 22 May 2012 - 10:40 AM

Ive just bought a Asus NVIDIA GeForce 9800GX2 1024MB GDDR3 512-bit Graphics Card
Specification

Chipset Line
nVidia GeForce
Chipset Model
NVIDIA GeForce 9800GX2
Core Clock Speed
600 MHz
Slot Type
PCI Express 2.0
Cooling Type
Fansink

Memory
Installed Memory
1 GB
Memory Type
GDDR3
Memory Bus
512-bit

I have noticed My gfx card runs at 71c with the fan speed on auto on ideal when i get into a game ( skyrim ) i play everything on high ive been playing for 2 weeks now on high and my max temp under load is 90 c But now today i started playing skyrim and half a hour in the game started to go slow i looked at my gfx card temp and it was 100c. Just wondering if that is high ?? Im guessing ill have to go and buy some new paste for the card ? Seen has its 4 years old i think.

I have ran msi kombustor but are having problems i run a stress test on the gfx card but only runs it on the one gpu but has many of you may know the card is 2 gfx cards put into 1. It says gpu 2 max temp is 90c on full load ( in the test ) and frame rate is 39 for the 1 gpu. For some resson it will not test gpu 1. I wanted to ask has well if i bought another 2 of these cards and used them in a 3 sli then would i get much of a improvement on the gfx ?? At the moment i can play everything on high dirt 3 / skyrim and other games the only thing i can't play on high is battlefield 3 so was thinking of getting 2 more and using them has a 3 way sli but would i get a boost from 3 ?? Also im gusseing the over heating if from old heat paste ?? It runs at 75c ide ( today ) and 90 on full load but today it reached 100 in a game but in a stress test reached 91c on full load.

Also the 90c on full load is with the fan speed at 100%

This post has been edited by rpgmaker: 22 May 2012 - 10:46 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Gfx card overheating

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Gfx card overheating

Posted 22 May 2012 - 11:05 AM

Just wondering if that is high ??

Yes.. the max temp is 105c.

Im guessing ill have to go and buy some new paste for the card ?

In theory it can't hurt.

Seen has its 4 years old i think.

Are you still buying parts from that shop giving you overclocked bits?

I wanted to ask has well if i bought another 2 of these cards and used them in a 3 sli then would i get much of a improvement on the gfx ??

How about getting one card to properly work first. If anything you'll get the biggest performance with 2 sli.. three never seems to add much to the charts.

Can your board even support three sli?

At the moment i can play everything on high dirt 3 / skyrim and other games the only thing i can't play on high is battlefield 3 so was thinking of getting 2 more and using them has a 3 way sli but would i get a boost from 3 ??

Clearly you would get a boost.. but probably not as much as you think. There are tons of videos and charts outlining sli3 for that card.

Also im gusseing the over heating if from old heat paste ?? It runs at 75c ide ( today ) and 90 on full load but today it reached 100 in a game but in a stress test reached 91c on full load.

Idle should be about mid 50c's. So either new paste or you have another borked card.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 May 2012 - 11:12 AM

Well ive just bought a ASUS Crosshair V Formula which says supports 3 sli. Ive just tested and the card runs at 65c at ideal with fan speed at 100% with fan speed on auto ( drops down to 40%) The temp goes up to 71c. When i play games im hitting 91c but today is a hot day and ive hit the 100c mark. And no the shop gave me my money back and bought the new card from ebay.

I cannot run 3 GTX9800x2's, as that would be a total of 6 cores, SLI only support upto 4 cores, so I only could technically run 2 x GTX9800x2's in quad SLIcouldn't i ? But then again would it be worth it seen has its a old card ? I love the card because it lets me play any game even on low.

Ive opened up the card and there was no dust or anything.... And i can feel air comming out of the side of the gfx card ( meaning the fan is working ? ) These temps are with the side of the case off mind so would be a lot hotter with the side of the case on ??

This post has been edited by rpgmaker: 22 May 2012 - 11:16 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 May 2012 - 11:21 AM

Well ive just bought a ASUS Crosshair V Formula which says supports 3 sli.

Then of course there's the power requirements..

And no the shop gave me my money back and bought the new card from ebay.

I loll'd at that statement. Thanks!

so I only could technically run 2 x GTX9800x2's in quad SLIcouldn't i ?

Sure..

But then again would it be worth it seen has its a old card ? I love the card because it lets me play any game even on low.

Bro - there are a crazy number of videos, graphs, charts, and run downs of two of those honking cards... go do a bit of research and see if the numbers appeal to you. Frankly though I would think about getting that one card to actually have two gpu cores show up.

These temps are with the side of the case off mind so would be a lot hotter with the side of the case on ??

Depends on your airflow situation..
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 May 2012 - 11:33 AM

I use loads of different software / tools the main tool i use is EVGA Precision which shows the 2 gpus and i can edit the clock speed fan speed etc. Of course i don't edit the clock speed or anything because i know nothing about overclocking but i use it to edit the fan speed to get it cooler. So the 2 gpus show up in EVGA Precision and the temps and core speed and everything shows for both of them. I have noticed there is always a 5 / 7 c diffrence between the 2 cores im guessing that is normal ? So these cards are no good for using them in sli ? I had a 120mb card a medion readion something and couldn't play no games and now i have this new card seems a big jump. Ad i have a asus usb3.0 board in at the moment but have the ASUS Crosshair V Formula still in the box.
This is the board i have in now.
http://www.pcworld.c...ay~RR~~11284273

and a 850 watt power supply
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 May 2012 - 11:43 AM

I have noticed there is always a 5 / 7 c diffrence between the 2 cores im guessing that is normal ?

Sure.

So these cards are no good for using them in sli ?

Where the heck did that come from? It's hard tracking you lack of punctuation and sentence flow, but that seems a little 'out of left field'.

I had a 120mb card a medion readion something and couldn't play no games and now i have this new card seems a big jump.

Well.. to be blunt: duh.

Ad i have a asus usb3.0 board in at the moment but have the ASUS Crosshair V Formula still in the box.

I have no idea what this means outside of:
1. Now I have no idea what board you are actually using
2. Some of my comments I was about to write no longer apply since you are not actually using the darn board you said you were!

ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3
Well yes.. that only has one pcix16 slot... so no sli in that board.

Really? A microatx board? *shrug* What ever.

and a 850 watt power supply

aaaaaaaand research would say will that work?
http://www.nvidia.co...wtobuild_2.html
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 May 2012 - 12:03 PM

I have a ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 which the card is in at the moment but bought a ASUS Crosshair V Formula but waiting for a bois chip from asus because i have the amd fx 8 core and the board bois needs updating to support the chip. So asus is sending me a new bois chip ( No display so can not just update the bois my self ). I was reading " Bro - there are a crazy number of videos, graphs, charts, and run downs of two of those honking cards... go do a bit of research and see if the numbers appeal to you. Frankly though I would think about getting that one card to actually have two gpu cores show up. " and thought you was trying to say that it is not worth sli the card. I bought the ASUS Crosshair V Formula then bought the card put it all together and found out i needed a new bois chip so went out and bought a ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 just to test the gfx card out and the fx chip and still im still waiting for the bois chip. So the best thing to do is get new paste then don't sli when i get the bois chip / update in the new board ??
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 May 2012 - 12:05 PM

So the best thing to do is get new paste then don't sli when i get the bois chip / update in the new board ??

I would get one card working first before buying into a second card.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 May 2012 - 12:08 PM

If i did buy another and slid it it would cost 160 uk pound ( 80 pound a card ) would the performance be worth that amount of money ?

I think ill buy new paste and see what happens.
I put new paste on my cpu a few weeks ago and the temp dropped from 50c at idea to 30c at ideal ( a 8 core ) so im hoping for the same with this card.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#10 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 May 2012 - 12:24 PM

If i did buy another and slid it it would cost 160 uk pound ( 80 pound a card ) would the performance be worth that amount of money ?

Slid it where? You can't try and slid it into that motherboard with one pci16 slot.. it physically needs to slots.

You are also not getting it.. I don't know if the performance increase is worth the money to you. For me - no.. it wouldn't be worth it.. to you.. hell maybe those extra frames are worth it.

Seriously - go watch the videos of your card running game X.. then check out the videos of the sli of that card.. Which one is worth it to you?
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 May 2012 - 12:31 PM

Ive checked for videos for sli but there are none maybe there is no one silly enough to sli them because it would of been a waste of money. Ill put new paste on the card and see if it gets any better if it don't ill send the card back then try and get some suggestions here for a new card. Ive been told that i could get a HD6850 for the same price and would be the same spec but would be a direct x 11 and would run a lot cooler.

Ill add new paste and see if that fixes it. Its a shame that i bought the card.
Might send it back and buy one of these
http://www.amazon.co...sbs_computers_1
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#12 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 May 2012 - 12:38 PM

Ive checked for videos for sli but there are none maybe there is no one silly enough to sli them because it would of been a waste of money.

Really? No one? Not one site shows up with you put in "9800x2 SLI" in google's video search?

https://www.youtube....h?v=UXlR-Sjwg4w
https://www.youtube....h?v=Tbx1wMQhNX8
https://www.youtube....h?v=7ZRzpd6geck
https://www.youtube....h?v=5SNI5HJKrnI
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 May 2012 - 12:45 PM

Thanks could i get a better card for around the 80 / 90 pound mark ? Because ebay has offered me a refund. Ive told them the card is getting hot and they offered a refund.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#14 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 May 2012 - 01:01 PM

Thanks could i get a better card for around the 80 / 90 pound mark ?

There's a ton of cards out there.. but I don't know what you want. You want something to be "better" and have yet to quantify that. You are bouncing around from an older dual core card to talking sli to now another single card. I'm not your research monkey - go and type in your price, see what cards are there, and then start comparing specs and tables.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 May 2012 - 01:32 PM

well i have 90 pound and just want a card that can play games the highest. But i guess ill do what you said take a look around then compare them to each other. Thanks for taking the time to talk with me and explain a lot to me. Thanks again not many people would spend time advising people and helping them out so thanks.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +