3 Replies - 1392 Views - Last Post: 23 May 2012 - 07:06 AM

• HAL9000 was an Apple product
  • member icon

• View blog

Your thoughts on my personal site?

Posted 22 May 2012 - 03:27 PM

Just got this domain name and put a quick personal site up. What are your thoughts, comments and criticisms?
(I'm still working on the French translation, and on cleaning up the code of the linked projects, but the English pages are (I think) complete)
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Your thoughts on my personal site?

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Your thoughts on my personal site?

Posted 22 May 2012 - 04:56 PM

The resume page came up blank for me.

Otherwise it seems pretty... basic. Kinda like you're hand coding the HTML in Notepad as a learning exercise.

It also doesn't seem to follow any kind of consistent theme. The baby page doesn't have the same look & feel as the other content pages, which don't feel like the home page.

There is no navigation on the other pages. Nobody goes from a page, to home, to a page, to home any more. There are numerous GUI website building applications that do all that for you.

For example, my site is built using Apple's iWeb. I just don't have the time or inclination to become a commercial-grade web developer just to have a nice blog. Its not what I do for a living.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• HAL9000 was an Apple product
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 May 2012 - 01:13 AM

View PosttlhIn`toq, on 22 May 2012 - 11:56 PM, said:

The resume page came up blank for me.

Did you see anything at all on that page? Did the document just not load, or were the entire contents missing?

Otherwise it seems pretty... basic. Kinda like you're hand coding the HTML in Notepad as a learning exercise.

I did hand code the HTML (in Notepad++); however the very basic look is because I was in a big hurry - I can normally do much better by hand-coding.

It also doesn't seem to follow any kind of consistent theme. The baby page doesn't have the same look & feel as the other content pages, which don't feel like the home page.

There is no navigation on the other pages. Nobody goes from a page, to home, to a page, to home any more. There are numerous GUI website building applications that do all that for you.

Yes, you're definitely right. I need to find a way to make the design feel a bit more coherent across the pages, as well as provide navigation from each page.

The baby page/site however is a separate site I made a while back (that never got an inch off the ground), so the look and feel, while very consistent within that site itself, is not consistent with the design of my personal page.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 May 2012 - 07:06 AM

I agree - pretty.. plain. Throw a textured background on there or something.. I've seen minimalist designs and this just seems pretty bland and inconsistent.

On the resume bit I get this message:

Sorry, we are unable to retrieve the document for viewing or you don't have permission to view the document.
You can also try to download the original document by clicking here.

Also when I click 'who am i' go to the page and then go back I get this odd screen artifact.

Attached Image
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1