9 Replies - 398 Views - Last Post: 24 May 2012 - 03:28 PM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

trouble with java

Posted 23 May 2012 - 02:01 PM

I have been reading a few book and blogs about developing network apps with Java,
and I do like coding in Java how it looks about feels. But I do not seen to have
any luck free style coding on own. I would like to write networking apps servers
and such like apache or other useful apps. I dont know how to start or what to do
other then just read book, blog, and what other info on the internet that I find.

I have been programming with Java for about 2 years now, and before this I was working
through books about data structure development, making linked list, tree, and other
such structures.

Or maybe should I be working trying to make simple applications like writing a web browser
completely in Java and using nothing more then the standard library.

I teach my stuff all that I know about computer science and Java and have filled up many
books with note about programming and computer science..

**sorry if this is a rant but I keep running into dead ends**

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: trouble with java

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Re: trouble with java

Posted 23 May 2012 - 04:53 PM

Maybe you should go to school? Studying at a college can seriously further your development in programming.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 May 2012 - 04:57 PM

I'm not sure if you're having trouble with Java, or if you're having trouble deciding what to do next. Even if you're not sure yourself, check out the stickies in the advanced discussion area for ideas on what to do next and how to become better at your craft. You might also explore joining an existing project rather than starting a new one on your own. There are likely advanced topics and tools involved in planning, designing, writing, and managing a major effort that you haven't learned yet but that would become familiar to you as a contributor.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• There is nothing you can't do with a JTable
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 May 2012 - 05:05 PM

What is exactly your question ?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 May 2012 - 08:05 PM

I keep finding dead end with Java Networking. I have studied the TCP/UDP protocols and and implemented them into a simple echo server. But I want to do more I want to learn how to develop good networking applications, I even through about switch to Ruby or Python because I heard that a lot resources out there with more up to date using those languages. I just asked because in case some one else has even been stuck in a programming hole like me, and any ideas of how to move forward.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 May 2012 - 07:44 AM

First of all, the resources for networking in Java are not your problem. Whatever arguments anyone might have about Java versus other languages, you're not even close to exhausting the resources of Java, so let's not bother there.
Learning other languages? Learning other languages is a fine thing, and it can give you lots of new perspectives, but if you haven't got the ideas to start with, it won't help.

I just asked because in case some one else has even been stuck in a programming hole like me, and any ideas of how to move forward.

Here you've identified your problem correctly. This is important. You're in a hole, and you don't know how to get out of it.
I'd suggest you start by orienting yourself. The hole you're in is all around you, and any way you go is up - which way is "forward"?
You could try reading some stuff - here's something from Sunthat might be useful. There's probably lots of other stuff - ask the duck. There are more books on networking in java than I could ever read, but browse the o'reilly offerings and see if any of those strike anything in you.

Or, start writing something. You want to write a browser? Okay, fine. What's a browser? Start by making a list of features and figure out what the minimal set is, and then you have a project. Figuring out how to implement those minimal features will get you rolling, I think.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 May 2012 - 02:41 PM

Okay here is what I have done soo far..

I have read the following books
1) fundementals of networking Python
2) networking programming with Java

I have looked through all the sun documentation on networking like the link you sent me.
And I have through out all of the wrote note about what I have learned and read. But maybe what my problem is that all i want to do is build an apache server of my own design but I have no idea what or how to do so, writing a browser would be fun as well; I read on this site some where that no browser has been written from the ground up in Java and that problem does interest me. Maybe this or maybe that, or maybe I just need some help idk
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 May 2012 - 02:44 PM

I think the problem is that you are trying to bite off too big of projects. An Apache server is definitely beyond the scope of what you should attempt. Start with a basic client-server application and go from there. Build it up with more features, one at a time.

As for an internet browser in Java, check out the JEditorPane class.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 May 2012 - 03:07 PM

Sorry if all of my posts are me just ranting off about how I am not where I want to be at this point in programming, maybe I am trying to bite off more then I can chew. I am going to back to where I started re-read and going through all of the notes I have written so far, and try to build simple apps with the knowledge I have so far. Build simple client/server apps and there adding a few new fetches each time I update it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#10 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 May 2012 - 03:28 PM

You don't want to bite off more than you can chew? Okay, get away from the idea that you're going to write Chrome.

What's the most basic functionality that a browser needs? What's the least you can do and still call yourself a browser?

Web browsers do a lot today - they manage your bookmarks and run your javascript and serve as an interface to your file system, so you can upload files, and all sorts of stuff.

But if you want to start somewhere, where can you start? If you want to write programs, you have to get used to planning, and this is one sort of planning: what's my bare-minimum functionality?

If you'd rather write a server, think about that: what does a web server do? What does a really crappy, no-good you'd-never-use-it-but-technically-yeah-it-a-server sort of server do?

I'll give you a hint: it's not a lot. Here's how Conrad Barski does it in Common Lisp:
Spoiler

Now, that's not anything you'd deploy, but it does serve content.

So you can serve content in Java. It won't be an apache-killer, but you can do it. Or you can browse content in Java - again, it's not going to be the next iCab, but you can do it. They way you do it is by working out how it's done - not by asking me and mac and pbl and Greg how to do it, but by sitting down and figuring out what you need to do first, second, and third, and having a whack at it. .
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1