• (2 Pages)
  • +

19 Replies - 1103 Views - Last Post: 11 June 2012 - 06:48 PM

• The Leafiest of the Leif's
  • member icon

• View blog

Has anyone else experienced this?

Posted 26 May 2012 - 06:04 AM

Right, before anyone says anything: I'm not trying to self diagnose, I'm making an appointment with my GP etc because it's a serious concern not a "oh I have a headache it must be AIDs".

So, I'm 19. I have a near-perfect history of health - I have the old cold, but I'm otherwise not prone to illness. I exercise daily, I eat and drink well and - while I don't have a 6 pack or any of that crap - I'm in pretty damn good shape.

However, for the past 2ish months (this will be funny in a moment) I've been experiencing gradually reduced Motor Skills; a severely impacted Short Term Memory (My LTM appears fine, I can remember life events etc, but I keep forgetting things short term, think the past 48 hours) which has been getting worse, and a gradually worsening tired-feeling. At this point, my Motor Skills are awful to the point I'll often stumble or fall up stairs (akin to being Drunk, actually), forget tasks on a daily basis - minor and major, and I find myself perpetually tired though unable to induce sleep more often than not.

I never used to sleep well, as it happens, but after being diagnosed with DSPD (Delayed Sleep Phase Disorder) on account of my body not producing enough Melatonin, I was stuck on 8mg Circadin a night to persuade my body to produce more and bring my sleep times back. NOW I sleep well, at the right time, and for a good 8 hours a night - pretty close to "text-book". Atleast I did for a short while.

It's also exam season, I'm dealing with (very little) logistical stuff for University, work is slow but I'm still working often for revision etc. I was just wondering if anyone on here has ever experienced this, as it may shed some light on what this possibly could be. I would like to think it's just stress, but I don't really consider myself to be that stressed.

I also have ADHD and Aspergers Syndrome, not that that's wildly applicable (I don't think, but it might be so it's here for reference).

Again - not trying to self diagnose, just looking to see if anyone here has ever experienced anything similar. Making an appointment with my GP to get his opinion on it (just in case it is worse than "stress" or similar). I don't over exaggerate, that's stupid.

Anywho, anyone?

/rant over

tl;dr: I keep falling over, forgetting I fell over, and then not sleeping. Pretty much feel drunk. Anyone had that?

This post has been edited by pryogene: 26 May 2012 - 06:08 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Has anyone else experienced this?

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Re: Has anyone else experienced this?

Posted 26 May 2012 - 06:08 AM

Not to scare you or anything, but that sort of stuff happens with beetus.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 May 2012 - 06:20 AM

View PostCelerian, on 26 May 2012 - 07:08 AM, said:

Not to scare you or anything, but that sort of stuff happens with beetus.

I'm pretty certain I don't have Diabetes; I've spent enough time having Surgery (cleft lip and crap) to be relatively safe in assuming they'd have picked up on it by now. Though, there was a woman who thought she had Dementia and it turned out to be Epilepsy (source).

I also take in enough sugar to know I'd be dead by now.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Saucy!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 May 2012 - 06:21 AM

Have you seen a neurologist? Some of the motor skills issues sound like MS, but it could simply be exhaustion as well.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 26 May 2012 - 06:22 AM

I was thinking it may be Type 2 as opposed to Type 1. If its just developing, you'll just begin to start having weird symptoms.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 May 2012 - 06:25 AM

View PostJackOfAllTrades, on 26 May 2012 - 07:21 AM, said:

Have you seen a neurologist? Some of the motor skills issues sound like MS, but it could simply be exhaustion as well.

I haven't, no, but given 2 of my Brothers were referred to Neurologists (they had seizures, I never have) there's a relatively high chance my GP may refer me too (both came out clear, though, thankfully).

View PostCelerian, on 26 May 2012 - 07:22 AM, said:

I was thinking it may be Type 2 as opposed to Type 1. If its just developing, you'll just begin to start having weird symptoms.

Interestingly, I fit a few of the symptoms that go unnoticed, but I'll leave that to my GP.

This post has been edited by pryogene: 26 May 2012 - 06:29 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 May 2012 - 06:34 AM

Hi,

I'm surprised I've seen this post, because I've also had similar stuff happening as I have got older (and I have ADHD and Asperger's Syndrome too), where I often will forget things that has happened in the last few days (very short term) unless I think about it. If someone asks me a question, if I'm not absolutely sure I have to really "think" about it to sort of, "remember" an answer I may have thought of before. It started in 2008-ish. I simply woke up one morning and I felt very lightheaded, and over those years I've often had spells of dizziness (really bad dizziness - at one point I had to go to hospital because it was so bad). I too don't know whether this is related to ADHD and/or Asperger's Syndrome, but I have had a blood test and even a brain scan just in case it was a tumour or something, but everything came back fine. Having said my case, I do recommend you go to your GP and urgently get it looked at just in case there is something wrong - whether brain related or not, as you just never know and often more than not, people do not do things they should at the early stages of anything unusual happening.

I sometimes do wake up with headaches, but again, I don't really know what has occurred since 2008 onwards that has caused my memory and a few other things to change, but who knows. I'm not disregarding going back to my GP myself, as if anything gets worse, I'll be going back to my GP, but I was frustrated going there as they were somewhat unhelpful. Last time I went to my GP recommended to go to my local opticians to have an eye-test, as I had previously had a brain scan and other tests as I had said. My eye-sight did warrant glasses as text very small on the screen was a little blurry - or at least enough to warrant glasses. The person at the opticians said my eye-sight had got a little worser over the years - but then again, I hadn't had an eye-test in quite some time. I don't know whether the eye-sight getting a little worse since last time is relative to the change in memory and dizziness that had occurred previously...I really don't know.

It's pretty normal to be concerned, and I'd suggest you go to the GP if you are concerned. My parents had consistently said that "it's migraine" as my Dad suffers from migraines occassionally, but I didn't really take that on board because they don't know what they're saying - they're just guessing, basically. It's really best to just go see your GP instead of asking for people's opinions, because that's what you are likely to only get.

Whatever you read (whether someone says it could be xyz), don't get concerned (and for obvious reasons - it's just a guess). Just have an open mind and go visit your GP and simply state the symptoms you're having. If you aren't satisfied with what your GP does (for example, if he/she simply gives you medication and you feel you want more than that - whether a brain scan or a referral to someone higher than a GP - not saying he/she will, but if he/she does), just say it, and don't accept anything less.

Hope this helps.

This post has been edited by bastones: 26 May 2012 - 06:37 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 May 2012 - 06:40 AM

Bastones, that's a really insightful post there.

I am genuinely concerned, as it's beginning to become disruptive to my family - whom I refuse to tell on the same kind of basis of the "it's a migraine" thing with your parents. Where people are saying it could be "xyz", while I'm not trying to self diagnose, I'm not ignoring them either - it does give me something to look into and to try and rule out for myself.

It's also nice to hear from another Aspergers sufferer, I never do ^^

But yeah, I genuinely hope it's just stress, but it has become a little too concerning for me to just say "bah, exams got me tired, it'll pass" anymore.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 26 May 2012 - 06:42 AM

Its always a good idea to get checked out if your concerned. It was actually pretty cool to hear from someone who has a similar situation to you and has been through the same sort of stuff before. Either way, I really hope everything is alright and you feel better soon.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 May 2012 - 06:53 AM

View Postpryogene, on 26 May 2012 - 07:40 AM, said:

Bastones, that's a really insightful post there.

I am genuinely concerned, as it's beginning to become disruptive to my family - whom I refuse to tell on the same kind of basis of the "it's a migraine" thing with your parents. Where people are saying it could be "xyz", while I'm not trying to self diagnose, I'm not ignoring them either - it does give me something to look into and to try and rule out for myself.

It's also nice to hear from another Aspergers sufferer, I never do ^^

But yeah, I genuinely hope it's just stress, but it has become a little too concerning for me to just say "bah, exams got me tired, it'll pass" anymore.

Hi,

Yeah, I thought it'd be an insight but obviously cannot answer your question. Regardless, I would go to a GP - do let me know what the GP says, it'll be interesting to hear.

I was thinking "is it related to the disabilities I have?" because, heck, I do notice I have ADHD and AS and I know how my behaviour and way of doing things is related to it (without sounding stereotypical here). For sure, the dizziness/memory thing has made me really concerned over the time I've had it.

Actually, I didn't say about the medication I was on - I was previously on Straterra and Risperidone (one is for Tourette's Syndrome...can't remember which one), and I was concerned at one point that it could be due to the medication that's causing it. Well, I've been off that for some time now (since I'm 18 and I thought, I don't want to be on medication - I don't need it - my behaviour should be fine without it - and so far, all is good for me), and I haven't really noticed some major improvement. I've not really had dizziness for a long time (even when I was on medication), so I really can't judge whether being off my medication has done anything substantial, a little or at all.

Anyway, hope this helps and good luck.

This post has been edited by bastones: 26 May 2012 - 06:56 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 May 2012 - 09:26 AM

Might want to have your GP check your for anemia or thyroid issues, too.

Severe anemia (as I've recently discovered) can cause all sorts of weird shit, as can thyroid problems. They are both very simple blood tests... might be worth checking just to rule them out.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Your Imaginary Friend

• View blog

Posted 27 May 2012 - 07:42 AM

I get that sometimes when I've only just woken up. But I assume everyone does. Waking up sucks.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:36 AM

Figured I'd update this with... well, updates.

The symptoms are leveling out - not worsening, not getting better, progress none the less.

I also saw my GP this morning, and he put me through some (rather amusing) coordination and balance tests, concluding that he doesn't think anything is wrong neurologically.

He has, however, taken blood to rule out Diabetes II. His current working assumption is that this is a glorified reaction to abruptly stopping my ADHD medication (Dexamphetamine, 5mg), and that it should hopefully return to normal. With this in mind, he wants me to go back in a month if it persists, and will let me know how my blood work turns out.

It's certainly nice to have (pseudo)confirmation that nothing is seriously wrong with me. In the mean time, I just have to take extra special care not to break anything or trip down stairs - not that I wasn't already...

Tl;dr: I'm basically having a glorified allergic reaction. So much fun.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 11 June 2012 - 01:12 PM

oh, well fucking duh it's from stopping the medication. I bet you felt short of breath too- amphetamines open up your airways, in addition to everything else.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 June 2012 - 01:25 PM

While I don't have any of the issues you cite (and hopefully won't develop them as they don't sound like "fun enhancers" to me), this is a good place to highlight this snippet from your post:

His current working assumption is that this is a glorified reaction to abruptly stopping my ADHD medication (Dexamphetamine, 5mg)

I have a stepson older than you (and a wife much older than you) and they've both done this with prescription medication. Now, you didn't mention the cause of the abrupt stoppage but it's helpful to be reminded that medications are often nothing more than chemical concoctions that are designed to alter the chemistry your body has/uses to function properly. Minus predictable chemical reactions in the body we're all nothing more than a mixing bag of elements. That is, life is handy a byproduct of the chemistry.

The reason it's helpful to keep that in mind is that while you may find that taking medications is tedious, irritating, time consuming, expensive or whatever...you're usually on those meds for a good reason and the body has adapted to function the way it does anticipating their presence. Minus their presence shit gets...well...unpredictable. And for some body chemistry "unpredictable" is synonymous with "monumentally undesirable". We barely have an idea about brain chemistry so when you suddenly shut off the supply of something the brain is relying upon, the subsequent effects can be rather alarming (as I assume that seizures, memory loss, unconsciousness and death would be considered alarming to most folks). In other words, it's rarely a good idea to cold turkey any prescription medication for any reason unless a doc is there to explain why the subsequent side effects are preferable to those you'd enjoy if you continued.

Doing so on your own (if that's what you did) isn't something you ought to take lightly.

Glad to hear you've stabilized and that yer doc doesn't think anything serious is afoot. Still and all, those folks went to school and racked up big tuition bills to acquire expertise in an area you lack. Best idea is to listen to them and follow their directions usually.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +